Author Topic: Laminated static recurve board bow  (Read 10902 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Laminated static recurve board bow
« on: August 10, 2013, 10:50:55 pm »
Would TB 2 work for an all wood laminated bow? 3/8" red oak with 1/8 hickory backing. Already steam bent the red oak. Turned out ok. Laminated a 1/16" piece of cherry as underlay and to glue splinters back down. Still drying so I can't test how solid it is. My main concern is the backing. Is tight bond 2 strong enough so I don't have creep?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Blaflair2

Re: Laminated static recurve board bow
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 10:51:50 pm »
I'm kinda just going for it

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2013, 11:01:00 pm »
I prefer tb3 cuz its abit more water resistant but i have had good luck with tb2... Neither has good gap filling qualities compared to epoxy tho. Nice thing bout tb2 is you get more work time before it sets and that is handy when tryin to fit odd pieces... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2013, 11:27:50 pm »
The glue will be plenty strong. Your problem is going to come from the hickory overpowering the red oak and causing it to chrysal, especially in a strained design like a static recurve. You will have to trap the back IMO if your bow is going to be successful. of course I may be wrong, but that's my guess.

Jon

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2013, 12:03:26 am »
What is trap the back? And 1/8 hickory will over power the red oak? What other options do I have? I have curly maple, would that work better? It's a little less tensile isn't it? Or should I use another piece of red oak? Opinions?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2013, 01:51:47 am »
So these are my tips so far. Hickory backing I ripped a little less than 1/8 blew up in the last 6" or cutting. So backing only the working part of the bow. Undecided about working/non working handle. The hickory is gonna stop once near bends. Ill just fill it with overlay for tip or maybe leave it depending how it looks. I'm going to sand down backing as well once glued up. So not to over power the red oak. Board had jive grain until center. Then small kink and back to straight. Handle block will take care of that problem. In my head n e way. See n e thing wrong lets know would ya?

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2013, 02:01:57 am »
Also this is my first time bending wood. Had slight blowout (lifter fibers). Hence the cherry underlay. The board is 64" and I'm looking for 50-55# @ 29-30". Is this possible? I'm sure gonna try!

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 02:31:59 am »
62" ntn with a stiff riser that is what at least 8" long, your losing a few inches cause of the curves, so your gonna have maybe 48" of working limb, if ya do a good job tillering you'll get a 24-25" draw if you have really good wood, good luck buddy I think your gonna need it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 03:22:57 am »
62" ntn with a stiff riser that is what at least 8" long, your losing a few inches cause of the curves, so your gonna have maybe 48" of working limb, if ya do a good job tillering you'll get a 24-25" draw if you have really good wood, good luck buddy I think your gonna need it

Aren't there whole bows that short that work just fine? I mean, I know it'd be tough to get that to work at a decent weight, but that for each limb  ???

Not that I have any experience with laminate bows  ::)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 04:11:50 am »
If you haven't already used the hickory then another piece of red oak with perfect grain would be a better backing. Hickory will of course work but you need to narrow the back compared to the belly (trapping). If the belly is 2 inches wide then make the backing 1 1/2 so the limb is a trapezoid in cross section instead of a rectangle.
29 - 30 inch draw is too much. I'd not go past 27 max.

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:24:01 am »
dude, a bendy handle selfbow can be 60" for a 28" draw.
reason- the whole dang bow works. handle, tips, every last bit...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Don Case

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2013, 11:55:46 am »
Would some one explain "trapping the back" please.
Thanks
Don

Offline Weylin

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2013, 02:02:28 pm »
trap is short for trapezoid, which is the shape of the cross section of the limb as opposed to rectangluar. It means that you narrow the back of the bow but leave the belly wide so that the belly has more surface area and is therefore proportionally stronger than the back in this case. The reason for it in this case is that hickory is much much stronger in tension than red oak is in compression. As the bow is bent the tension strong hickory overpowers the red oak who was struggling to do it's job of compression in the first place, causing it to chrysal. You avoid this by trapping, or narrowing the hickory so there is less of it there to overpower the red oak.

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2013, 02:07:17 pm »
huisme grab a 4' long stick and grab it in the center and you'll see how short the working limbs are,
squirell if you read his post he is adding a riser so it ain't a friggin' bendy handle, and he said a 29-30" draw no 28"
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:10:23 pm by bubby »
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 02:17:52 pm »
Could I add a small riser and make it bendy?