Author Topic: Deer season here.....  (Read 4222 times)

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
Deer season here.....
« on: August 14, 2013, 09:46:19 pm »
Well it starts tomorrow......not ready myself but will be shortly.  I am sure Johnston is ready. 
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Ozzy

Re: Deer season here.....
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:06 pm »
We have to wait for October 1st :(
THE BEST SUNRISES ARE SEEN 20 FEET UP A TREE.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:33:46 pm »
Starts Sept 7th for my area...but not necessary for me...Tooo many mosquitoes, knats  & insects for me to enjoy it.  Youst to do a lot of Squirrel hunting with a 32 cal muzzleloader early in the year, but gave it up to those damn bugs.  Love it after the first good frost!!!!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Poggins

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 12:39:10 am »
October 1st here , can't wait to put my lifetime hunting and fishing license to use, waited long enough to get them ( 27 years , the price shore went up ).

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 12:41:27 am »

I don't think I would want to hunt before Oct. 1st.  Its to warm and they are still in velvet. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 02:06:58 am »
Starts Sept 7th for my area...but not necessary for me...Tooo many mosquitoes, knats  & insects for me to enjoy it.  Youst to do a lot of Squirrel hunting with a 32 cal muzzleloader early in the year, but gave it up to those damn bugs.  Love it after the first good frost!!!!
DBar

Purchase a thermocell to keep the bugs away.  They are pretty awesome and no smelly, oil Deet on your body.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 02:13:24 am »

I don't think I would want to hunt before Oct. 1st.  Its to warm and they are still in velvet.

I can't remember ever seeing a buck in velvet around here in Sept.  I did see a 4 pt in velvet in Nov once.  My friend shot it.  We teased him about shooting a gay deer (lack of testosterone), even named it velvet Elvis.  I have seen a lot of buck without velvet while squirrel hunting in Aug. in these parts.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:11 am »
Here in Ok, we gadda wait till Oct 1st as well. I wish we didnt, cause I would go out for sure.  As for the bucks in velvet, who cares, I prefere the taste of doe anyways.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 11:05:44 am »
Sept. 15 here in Mo... Then the battle starts with mosquitos, ticks, and them dang noseeums... cant wait, lol....brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 04:05:41 pm »
Not sure if the deer will mind but when I'm out fishing and the bugs are bad I build a small fire and sit in the smoke fora bit. Bugs stay away after that for quit sme time. So you could smoke your clothes before hand and see if that helps. Deer love eating ash for its minerals so maybe it will help your hunt.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 11:52:50 pm »
When I lives in Bluffton, SC I hunted every opening day(mid Aug.). Deep in a river swamp in Beaufort County SC in mid August is something to experience at least once in a lifetime.  ::)  NOT!
 I spent many a sweaty evenings waiting for a deer to walk by and killed a few on opening day....then I'd wait a month or more for the weather to cool some before going back. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2013, 02:11:12 am »
I hate using repellants anytime, especially when I'm pretty sure a deer might smell it.  But, I can't hunt with bugs biting me either.  But what I hate most of all is sitting on the couch during deer season.  The thermocel worked well for me during this past turkey season and on a few fishing trips this summer.  So, I'll be using it in a few weeks.  The barely audible hissing sound might spook deer, I don't know.  But, it's better than swatting bugs or sitting on the couch.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Marks

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2013, 10:44:53 am »
We don't usually start till mid Oct. But that's ok. I still haven't got my bow finished and we got dove season, and the early goose and teal season coming up. I also gotta get my curs in the woods a little bit. Heck, I'm not even done bass fishing yet.  Lots to do.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2013, 11:14:44 am »
In Western Washington our deer starts Sep 1st and elk the 3rd in the same areas. Good Luck to you all this yr. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2013, 11:39:34 am »
DBar

Your gonna let tiny little bugs keep you from getting sweet delicious meat!?
Clatskanie, Oregon