Author Topic: Need help getting to low brace (my weakest skill) + some late full draws.  (Read 1458 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Alright, so the bow I'm working on is my favorite black Locust stave, a couple knots in the upper limb and nice thick growth rings, and I want the experts' help getting the natural reflex into a really low brace so I'm not terrified I'm dooming this thing  ::)

Rings

My favorite part, the two knots  ;D

Relaxed

As far as I dare pull it. It looks to me like I need to weaken the whole right/upper limb, and work the outer 2/3 of the left/bottom limb to avoid hinging.

Aaaand on another note, I have full draw pics for my first short bow Crazy Jane, and the mollegabet.

50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Danzn Bar

This is a tough one with the info....and I'm definitely not an expert. But what limb is the knots in? and your left (in the pic) limb is the stronger one. but it looks likes it's a little more reflexed.  Like I said, I'm no expert, but I'm sue someone will chime in.
DBar 
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline BOWMAN53

Crazy jane  :o   ???

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Crazy jane  :o   ???

I know, right? It's Black locust with the sapwood on, and that is in fact how the wood wanted to bend: no chrisals what so ever. I was terrified of the thing all the way through her first two hundred arrows, but now she's my favorite for the looks she gets me (and she's a consistent shooter) ;D

This is a tough one with the info....and I'm definitely not an expert. But what limb is the knots in? and your left (in the pic) limb is the stronger one. but it looks likes it's a little more reflexed.  Like I said, I'm no expert, but I'm sue someone will chime in.
DBar 

The knots are on the right limb in the picture, which is probably why I've shied away from removing as much wood there or adding reflex to match the limbs  ::)
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline bushboy

No expert hear!floor tiller,shortest string that will fit,notch a 2x4 at different intervals,exercise,hook it at about 10",stand back for a quick assesment,mark where wood needs to go until it's even.or place it back side down on something soft ,put your foot on the handle ,pull the string up and watch how it bends.I use both methods when tillering
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.