Author Topic: GLASSING BUCKS  (Read 2248 times)

Offline crooketarrow

GLASSING BUCKS
« on: August 23, 2013, 10:11:37 am »
  Just wandering if anyone out there glass their bucks in the summer there going to hunt. I live in farm county and have glassed bucks I going to hunt for as long as I had a DRIVERS LIC. at 17 I'm 51 now. My best year I vidio'ed 287 bucks. Not all huntable. I've got miles and miles of vidio ,1000's of still shots. 10's and 10's of thousands of deer cam pic's.
  I've seen 101 bucks this year so far (JULY TO NOW) a lot of the same ones but all on the farms I hunt and manage. I have some real shooters here on the farm I live on. 120's to 140's. 18 BUCKS I KNOW OF LIVE HERE.  I LOVE TO ARROW BUCKS so I hunt age not antler size. I've but my age at 3 1/2 and older no matter what rack size he has. If he gets with in 20 yards there's a arrow on the way.
  I do put alot of time into my glassing most every morning or evening starting in JULY. My old lady must really love me because life perty must centered around bucks. When I first met her 22 years ago. She said I don't have a problem with you deer hunting.
  I was away 13 weekins in a row buck hunting but she's stuck around. I hunt mountains on the weekins and farm land through the week.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: GLASSING BUCKS
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 11:09:44 am »
I have little to no place to hunt private, so glassing does nothing but show me what I cant hunt on others lands.  I could see me being like you if I had thousands of acres to roam. I would be more inquisitive for sure. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline crooketarrow

Re: GLASSING BUCKS
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 09:28:13 am »
   I only have 1000's of acers only if I hunt NF or PL. I do have 28 thousand acer PL 10 MINS away. And I live only a hour from  VA and WV's GEORGE WASHINGTON NF. There's 100,000 PLUS acers and close to that in WV. I did hunt it alot in the 80's ,90's.
 Farms around here are perty cut up. The farms I lease and other areas I hunt are any where from 20 acers to 300 acer farms. The one I mainly hunt now and the one I've lived on is 294 acers. Last years was the first buck I've killed (arrowed) a 8 point. I had saw some thing like 31 bucks let 12 smaller bucks go by. 7 Shooters If I'd rifle hunted I could have killed all 7. But we all know shooting them with a selfbow not so easy.
  After 15 or so years of shooting little 1 1/2 ,2 1/2 year olds. I wanted a change. So I did some thing about it I start managing from mature bucks. I've managed farms for pushing 20 years. The size only matters as to what you can do to improve  the land and herd. . My old lady calls them deer factorys.
   Through the years I hunted and leased 500 to 1000 acer farms (WV,VA and MD.) ALSO ONLY 3
1/2 hour away. But some of my best were low acerage places. My very best was 88 acer old grown up sheep farm I hunted for 27 years. I also hunted the 400 acer cattle farm boardering it. I killed (bucks) 30 some off it . Friends killed another dozzen. In those 27 years me and others have killed over 100 doe's come doe season.
  So it's not  always the size that matters. It's the time you invest to kiil mature bucks .It's how bad you want to kill mature bucks. I'm killed 99 busks hopefully I'll arrow the 100 th one this fall.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING