Author Topic: blue prints or dimensions for yew english longbow????  (Read 3542 times)

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
blue prints or dimensions for yew english longbow????
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:15:41 pm »
Hi guys ... im getting my first 2 yew staves tomoorrow ... one is just a practice stave . ( knots and twists and short ) but may be able to make a backed flatbow or something from it .... the other is a 77" premium yew stave which i want to make a 60# @ 26 " elb from . I am 6 ft tall . I have no idea how to do this and neep some specs to follw . I will be using this for hunting so i dont need it to be high draw like the war bow ... but ... never the less i like the style and never built one . I need to know things like whats better . Full compass or stiff handle and a good lay out for a bow that would fit me and my weight goal. Would be nice as well . Also i would like thoughts on best way to gently take bark off and not violate sapwood . . please someone help .  Thanks .
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:38:31 am by Pat B »
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)

Offline adb

Re: blue prints or dimensions for yew english longbow????
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 07:32:03 pm »
Is this your first bow??

Offline rockrush69

• i want to live in a tipi and hunt for my food
    • facebook.com/flingahbows
Re: blue prints or dimensions for yew english longbow????
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:22:53 pm »
Its my first yew bow ..  and only my second english longbow .   Its about my 30th bow though as i have made alot of flatbows self . Sinew backed rawhidebacksd . Ect. It my first time with yew wood though . I got a se o d practice yew stave thats knot in such good condition . .  . I will mess with that one first . Also . What precotions as far as toxins should i take with yew ???
JESSE "HALF CHEROKEE" RUSH
The rabbit lost his tail cause the fox tricked him and told him to stick it thru the ice to catch fish he became stuck and the bear snatched him out by his ears leaving his bushy tail behind and streching his long ears... Cherokee story "how the rabbit lost his tail" :)