Author Topic: knapping glass with a BB gun  (Read 5369 times)

Offline autologus

Re: knapping glass with a BB gun
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 12:21:22 pm »
Hot rocks and water = hand grenades.  No bueno.

Grady
Proud Hillbilly from Arkansas.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 04:23:48 pm »
Sorry, but, I have to go along with Forrest Gump; "Stupid is as stupid does". :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JEB

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 05:10:49 pm »
Another reason why our medical costs are on the rise!!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 09:15:03 pm »
Hence my PS warning Mike! I can't recall ever giving a public knapping demo when someone didn't ask me about the hot rocks and water thing. I wonder how that story ever got started? It sure spread wide and far. Guess it sounds better than the truth.

UPDATE: I found an article by a fellow named Dan Long that may answer the question of how the story of dropping cold water on hot rocks started. Dan writes, "All I knew for sure was that it wasn't done with fire and water, a theory popularized by Edgar Rice Burroughs “Tarzan”, in which he had the hero shape a stone blade by heating it and strategically applying drops of cold water to the hot rock to remove flakes (incidentally, a great way to put out an eye!)."

Tarzan - LOL! But where did Rice Burroughs come up with his idea?

I heard the story came from Ishi when he was knapping at the Worlds Fair. He got tired of answering stupid questions.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2013, 10:56:09 pm »
Hence my PS warning Mike! I can't recall ever giving a public knapping demo when someone didn't ask me about the hot rocks and water thing. I wonder how that story ever got started? It sure spread wide and far. Guess it sounds better than the truth.

UPDATE: I found an article by a fellow named Dan Long that may answer the question of how the story of dropping cold water on hot rocks started. Dan writes, "All I knew for sure was that it wasn't done with fire and water, a theory popularized by Edgar Rice Burroughs “Tarzan”, in which he had the hero shape a stone blade by heating it and strategically applying drops of cold water to the hot rock to remove flakes (incidentally, a great way to put out an eye!)."

I've read everything ever written by ERB and I don't remember that particular passage.  Did he mention which of the novels it was in?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2013, 08:11:18 am »
I don't even remember where I heard it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Dalton Knapper

JW & Mullet
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2013, 11:08:14 am »
I can't seem to find a reference to Rice Burroughs saying anything about Tarzan making a blade, arrowhead, ect. either. Perhaps the fellow writing that was simply mistaken or saw it in a comic book or Disney movie. I am sure the story of dropping water on rocks is old one way or another. Likely the story was an Indian joke of sorts when someone asked too many questions.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2013, 11:30:01 am »
Here is a quote from the "Biskinik" The Choctaw news paper, issue May 2013.

"Today, a widespread misconception is that Native Americans made stone arrow points by dripping cold water on  hot rocks to fracture them. This technique was sometimes used to break large stones into smaller pieces, but the breaks happen too randomly to be used to make a complex implement like an arrow point. Stone arrow points were and are made through a process that is known as "flintknapping" in English. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2013, 05:07:04 pm »
LOL. so i didn't wind up trying it- you guys talked me out of it.
funny how dad was fine with it.
i think my dad has figured out i am not stupid enough to do something that has more than a 50% chance of seriously injuring or killing me or anything else.
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Josh B

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2013, 06:48:18 pm »
Really?  Your dad didn't have a problem with that idea?  :o.  I'm guessing the acorn didn't fall from the tree.  I am really glad you decided against this idea.  All kinds of unexpected results were possible,  none of em good.  Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2013, 07:15:59 pm »
Really?  Your dad didn't have a problem with that idea?  :o.  I'm guessing the acorn didn't fall from the tree.  I am really glad you decided against this idea.  All kinds of unexpected results were possible,  none of em good.  Josh

lol that's what I was thinking Josh, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2013, 07:35:59 pm »

Maybe he was looking at the extra income from Early Social Security Disability. ::) :)
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 05:36:07 pm »

I've read everything ever written by ERB and I don't remember that particular passage.  Did he mention which of the novels it was in?

Aparenrtly it was book three "The Beasts of Tarzan".  Some one asked on Paleoplanet and that was the answer.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2013, 05:52:13 pm »
Gun Doc, you cracked me up with the first sentence.

Yes it was The Beasts of Tarzan, I just listened to it on CD on my drive to and from work.  He makes a blade.

I've heard it started in a reservation early on when some older Indian's were asked how they were made and one of them came up w/ this story.  Some believe he was making a joke on YT, some believe he didn't really know and made something up.  Anyway, it was probably the media who spread it across the country. Imagine that?

HAve a gooder, dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 04:55:14 pm »
really? What on earth is the worst that will happen to me 25 feet from my small pointy target aiming a 250 fPS BB gun wearing a mask designed specifically to prevent injury to one's face or neck?
my only unexpected result is that my aim would be off and I would wind up with a broken arrowhead. Me and a friend have shot probably over 100 glass jars and bottles with bb or pellet rifles at the range- anywhere from 10-100 feet away(my friend once pulled a 125 with the pellet gun). there is already so much glass there before we asked if we could shoot bottles.
given I was never hit by either a single shard or BB...
i thought it wasnt that bad of an idea. I was more worried about breaking the arrowhead(my aim is generally crap)...
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"