Author Topic: knapping glass with a BB gun  (Read 5369 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: knapping glass with a BB gun
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2013, 10:07:46 am »
Here's where I see the potential for trouble.  First of all, I've had to shoot a rifle while wearing a gas mask.  It sucks, its almost impossible to shoot accurately because the mask gets in the way of making a good cheek weld to the stock, which in turn, means you can't line up the sights with your eye.  I realize that you won't be using a gas mask, but any full mask will have the same effect.  What your thinking about doing would require literal pinpoint accuracy.  Since you won't be able to use the sights properly, there goes the mask.  The next problem would be of course the range you are considering.  BB guns are far from long range precision instruments.  Even the best ones   are limited on range , especially one at 250 fps.  Even my 30 yr old red Ryder does better than that.  The next thing you know, you'll start getting closer to not only improve your accuracy, but because your weak BBgun is just bouncing BB's instead of knocking out hertzian cones.  The list of potential problems goes on and on.  Now, if you stay back out of range with your mask on and only use your underpowered BB gun, you'll probably only risk a efew minor red welts from ricochet BB's.  And that's  only if you get lucky enough to hit anything.  Which I highly doubt will happen.  Josh

Offline Thesquirrelslinger

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2013, 04:37:08 pm »
I just wanted to have fun. I thought a lower FPS would work better than an 800-900 FPS version. and I cannot get pinpoint accuracy, but can get almost pinpoint accuracy- i am quite used to shooting with a mask. at under 50 feet its normal for me, plus i (obviously) wear a mask and use sights with an automatic and a sniper rifle(scoped- a whole different deal) up to 150 feet.
its one of those things with a really high awesome factor.
" how did you make that?"
" shot it out with a BB gun"
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

Offline Newbow

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2013, 05:02:50 pm »
Good idea or not, there is little actual danger if done as advertised; no more than "normal" knapping so long as eye protection is used.  Stop defending the idea, and try it out and report on the results.  Sometimes, though not often in a situation like this, the majority can be mistaken.  You'll still have to set up platforms manually and even if it works perfectly it will be a laborious and time consuming effort.  The only way to settle the matter is to do it.  Let us know.