Author Topic: Silk Types  (Read 8571 times)

Offline Nightmyth

Silk Types
« on: December 01, 2007, 03:19:13 pm »
Hello,

The Bowyer's Bible talks about Silk as a backing, however it does not elaborate on the type or thickness. Cruising through the Net I've come across 2 types of Silk that seem to be most common.
They include Dupioni and Tussah.

What type is best for backing bows with? What thickness is recommended?

Info:
The bow I will be backing is a short Maple board self bow. Currently she stands at 60#@28". I am going to drop the weight to 45, and then back it with silk, followed by snake skin.
(I can post pictures if necessary)

Thanks, Myth

Offline Jbell

Re: Silk Types
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 04:03:16 pm »
This will be interesting if any one has a good response. All i ever use is silk blouses' from second hand stores and the results are great.
Justin Blunt

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 04:37:10 pm »
Silk is quite strong so thin silk is sufficient to back a bow. Silk blouses, neck ties, etc work well. I backed an osage recurve a few years ago with heavy, coarsely woven raw silk and it caused fretting all along the belly. I have never fretted an osage bow and this one fretted along most of the working part of the limbs.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 06:06:16 pm »
Silk is quite strong so thin silk is sufficient to back a bow. Silk blouses, neck ties, etc work well. I backed an osage recurve a few years ago with heavy, coarsely woven raw silk and it caused fretting all along the belly. I have never fretted an osage bow and this one fretted along most of the working part of the limbs.     Pat
Sounds like a wood problem not a backing problem to me.

Actually neither of those silks are the most common.  Tusah silk is made from silk worms that eat oak leaves and is usually used for quilt batting.  Dupioni is made from cocoons spun by two silk worms together and is stronger.  Common silk is made from silk worms that eat mulberry leaves.  I have just purchased common silk from the local fabric store so I could get a neutral color and longer pieces.  It runs about $20 a yard, but it is 45" wide and can back at least 10 bows.  $2 a bow isn't bad at all.

Jbell, is that the answear you weren't expecting.  :o ;D ;D ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Nightmyth

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 06:15:09 pm »
I dunno about Jbell, but thats exactly what I wanted to know.  :D

I've been asking different fabric stores and no one knows. Sounds like I need to find "common" silk. ;)

Thank you for your help guys.

Myth

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 07:21:48 pm »
Most silk from the fabric store will work. Just the stuff for making dresses.  If it is fabric for making drapes it is probably Dupioni. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 08:02:18 pm »
Justin its obvious you watch Martha Stewert too much ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 08:31:33 pm »
Justin its obvious you watch Martha Stewert too much ;D
How could I watch to much when I learn all kinds of usefull information like this.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

Offline Nightmyth

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 08:53:05 pm »
Well, none of the stores around my house have regular silk. They carry plenty of the "dupioni" silk. I did find a site that offers this.

Plain Shell Dupioni
100% silk dupioni. Beautiful piece with nice luster and body. Perfect for drapery or light upholstery. #100883 Width: 54"

and this....

Silkplain Coin

100% silk solid. Ideal for accents or drapery. 54" wide.

My guess is the Silkplain is silk in it's natural state?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 12:16:59 am »
Go to your local thrift store or second hand store and buy silk dresses, blouses and/or neck ties. You might also find leather for your handle wrap in the purse department. ;D
   Justin. I had a few people tell me that raw silk is extremely strong and can cause compression fractures(frets) in bow wood. It could be the osage I used but it never happened on other staves from the same log.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 01:48:40 am »
It is possible Pat. Dupioni silk has 0 stretch.  That could cause a huge problem I guess. Justin

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 01:49:53 am »
This is what I have been using with good success.

http://www.aurorasilk.com/fabrics/silks_shiny/spun_silk.html
Gordon

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 02:00:50 am »
Gordon, that looks like the stuff I have.  That is a better price than I paid. Justin

SW Utah

Offline Nightmyth

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 04:00:26 am »
Cool Link Gordon!  :) I went ahead and purchased 3 yards of it.

Actually I went to several fabric stores today. I was surprised how rare "plain" or natural color silk there was. Most have these cheesy drapery patterns hehe  :D.
I plan on dying the Silk so I opted for the natural silk in the link Gordon provided.

Sounds like these different types of silk possibly yield different effects on bows. I may run a test on each of these Silk types after I'm done with this bow. It's gotten my curiosity peaked.  ;)

Thanks again mates

Myth

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 11:38:50 am »
Myth, Those cheesy patterns make for good camo! ;D I always thought a paisley would make a cool backing. 8)
   Even if you pay $30 per yard, that is still cheap per backing strip.    Pat