Author Topic: Ambitious?  (Read 4443 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Ambitious?
« on: September 07, 2013, 04:26:48 pm »
ok so i took a look at the wood on my firewood pile and noticed some yew, i had put it here as it was to short but after looking at it it had some nice reflex and almost no knots. the stave is only 37" long and is very short but it had a nice heart/sap wood combo. right now im trying to rough it out into a square as i am undicided to do either a bow with a rounded belly or a fairly simple flatbow? am i being ambitious to even attemt to make a bow from this wood? i know it will need to bend in the hande. ill have to see. here are some pics.

London, England.

45#@28"

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Ambitious?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 05:08:23 pm »
I've got one like it but 42". It's going to be a West Coast Flat bow as soon as I can finish up some other projects.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 05:26:38 pm »
I've got one like it but 42". It's going to be a West Coast Flat bow as soon as I can finish up some other projects.

are you backing it with sinew?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 07:15:14 pm »
I am pretty sure that tempting but just toooooo short pieces of good to great bow wood were the reason that Siyahs were invented.  I just cannot bring myself to burn a fine piece of what might otherwise be great bow wood!

You asked if it is too ambitious???  ...perhaps, but where's the fun in not trying?  The worst that can happen is that you wind up with some more experience making shavings!

OneBow

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 09:29:12 pm »

are you backing it with sinew?
Yes.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Strongbow

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 09:57:22 pm »
If it is wide enough you could consider splitting it and splicing the billets together.  Or make the most awesome kids bow ever.

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 10:56:40 pm »
Splice on siyas, or keep till you find another billet and splice them at the handle.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 11:03:55 pm »
My first thoughts at looking at your piece of wood there is a flat bow with sinew.Bendy handle.I would'nt induce any more reflex either.It's go enough on it's own.
Now depending on your skill level you could  glue some 4"dove tail joint spruce levers onto it of say 8" apiece.Then you'd have your self a 53" bow.Quite a project but the outcome would be awesome.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DLH

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 01:58:52 am »
Know where I could find pics of that dovetail joint on a bow? I couldn't find anything in a google search. I don't mean to hijack but that sounds interesting.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2013, 03:22:55 am »
The only joint to use to attatch syhias or molly stlye levers is a 4 inch v- splice.
Which is what I would do with this stave.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2013, 04:51:14 am »
hmm, sounds intresting. but yery difficult. but i think i will give it a try. does anyone have any pics as an example?
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2013, 07:53:19 am »
A dove tail joint is the same thing as a V splice.Just Like the letter V.Top to bottom a total of 4" although you can get by with less.Make your V shaped lever first with the V shape a total of 4" with an additional 8" length or less maybe of lever 3/4" wide.Now trace the V shape with the point of V onto the center line on the end of your stave to the top outside edges.Cut em out with a hacksaw slow and precise and perfectly perpendicular up and down to the surface of your stave.I keep em seperate and mark them A & B.Each lever to each specific end on your stave.Dry fit it good to each other.Sand where needed to make a good fit.No need to have a curved lever for this but set it in at an angle for more reflex.To watch this being done google up YamtarCeri on you tube.
I'm afraid if you have to ask what a dove tail joint is you may be getting in over your head here.Otherwise a short flat bow sinewed bendy handle would still be an awesome bow too with a little less work but still the wait time for the sinew to cure.Google up one made by simson on this PA forum.His is a perfect example of what your dealing with here.
BowEd
Ed

Offline DLH

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 10:51:25 am »
Yeah there is no way I would attempt anything like that yet. Just curious if its the same type of dove tail used in other aspects of wood working. I was just wanting to see a visual ill dig around some more thanks!

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2013, 11:34:03 am »
I would split it and splice it... You might even get 4 billets, especially if you got a bandsaw... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2013, 11:35:11 am »
Excuse me.... a dove tail joint DOES NOT look like a V splice.A V splice is the jont to use for levers though.I've V spliced levers into a few bow limbs.You have to be dead nuts in line and level for extremely reflexed bows.But still even on your bow it should be too.You'd have to make yourself a primitive stringer too as getting a string on them is darn near impossible with the push pull method and I'm not a fan of the step through method.
BowEd
Ed