Author Topic: Do u like character bows  (Read 20343 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Do u like character bows
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:10 pm »
Well said Weylin! 
WB99-  I needled you quite a bit for those pics for a reason.  Myself and probably countless others really do enjoy helping folks along when we can.  To do that, we have to have an idea where your skill level is.  Talk is....well...just talk.  When starting out, it's better to ask questions and listen.  Now by your comments, it would seem that you would have us believe that you were a professional bowyer that could make a high quality  bow out of any piece wood in existence.   Now the proof is in the pudding, so to speak.  The pics of your bows tell a different story than you did.  Understand,  I am NOT knocking you or your work.  They are not bad at all for starting out.  You definitely have potential.  A potential that will be realized much quicker and easier if you learn from those that would gladly help you.  Myself included.  It seems that at about 14 or 15 yrs of age, being a bit of an awkward age, young fellas tend to try so hard to prove that they are worthy to hang out with a crowd that they end up alienating themselves.  There's no need for that here.  I think it was Jim Hamm or someone of his caliber that said, and I'm paraphrasing, you don't have to prove you are a master to be accepted here.  The fact that you are here and want to be a part of this is enough for us to accept and welcome you.  It won't be long and you will have the experience to help the next budding bowyer.  Until then, keep listening, learning and making shavings.  But above all, enjoy the ride.   Josh

Great post Josh. 

Nothing gets on my nerves worse than a 14 or 15 year old "expert"  ::)

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2013, 01:58:42 pm »
i normally dont put in my 2 cents but its been bugging me lately.

how about we get an admin to take this down and give the kid a new start?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2013, 02:17:48 pm »
I'm all for giving him a new start if he wants it.  That's what I've been trying to work towards.  However, I do believe there should be a sticky put up that more or less outlines this so that these new folks understand that all they have to be is themselves.  This old world has done a lot of changing even since I was that age.  One thing that hasn't changed is what its like to be that age.  I can't remember where I laid my drawknife 5 minutes ago, but i still remember trying to fit in.  I'm just trying to make em understand to be themselves and its all good.  Josh

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2013, 02:22:36 pm »
A bow with character is like a person with character:  they are more interesting if they have it.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2013, 03:55:29 pm »
There is Character induced beauty as well as Character induced flaws.  Pushing your material toward the former and away from the latter is called craftsmanship.

OneBow

Offline wood_bandit99

• Shoot straight my friends!!
« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2013, 05:25:56 pm »
Thank you guys and I'm sorry for coming off rude I was not meaning to I just wanted to start a conversation and get people to know me. And u guys don't have to take this off. It can be my reminder how I messed up. :) how would u guys want to just forget about this and this "awkward" 14 year old will just be himself ;) how would that be? Thanks guys! And just as a reminder, I like to tease so please nobody be offended! :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 06:35:40 pm by Wood_Bandit99 »
Yew and osage, BEST. WOODS. EVER! Shoot straight my friends!!!

Offline rossfactor

• Humboldt County CA
« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2013, 06:10:30 pm »
No offense taken here. Welcome aboard. Hope to see you grow as a bowyer.

Gabe
Humboldt County CA.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #97 on: September 10, 2013, 06:35:11 pm »
I remember being young enough to know everything  O:) Let see some bows, we all love looking at each others ideas.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 04:26:17 am by dwardo »

Offline Josh B

« Reply #98 on: September 10, 2013, 09:01:06 pm »
That's fine!  That's real fine!  Teasing is good as long as you remember it goes both ways. ;) Lol!  Welcome aboard WoodBandit!  I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your stuff!  Josh

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2013, 06:55:22 am »
Welcome aboard the forum. Just don't tell lies and be yourself.  I learnt that the hard way.  And im still learning.  Looking forward to seeing your bows.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2013, 07:15:26 pm »
I guess you can come along and welcome aboard again.......LOL.As soon as your head shrinks enough to fit through the doorway you can come along.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed