Author Topic: One for Ripley's  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

One for Ripley's
« on: September 12, 2013, 02:45:43 pm »
Seabass (Steve) told me that he had Mr. Halverson make a throwing hawk head and that it was in the mail.  I had to make the trip to town to mail a package this morning.  On the way through town I met Hawk Huston coming out of one of the side streets and he followed me to the Post Office.  Meeteetse's Post Office is a small affair with a section for personal mail boxes and some larger ones for packages.  That part of the office is separate from the main room.  Well, much to my delight there was a package from Seabass for me.  I had Hawk open it and we found a beautiful hawk head.  We were really impressed with it and I was tickled to receive such a gift.  I put the open box with the head in it on the corner of the work table out of the way and went on in through the door to put together a small mailing priority box.  It took me several minutes to fold and address the box and pay for the postage.  When I started out of the building I found the box with the head was gone!  My first thought was who would take something like that in broad daylight with lots of traffic in and out.  The Post Master found the box and its packing in the garbage can.  Someone had just plain stolen the hawk!  I knew Houston was doing some log work at the local cemetery located just out of town.  I drove out there hoping Hawk had just pulled a prank on me and had the head.  No such luck and now I am feeling lower than whale dung!  On my way back through town I decided to stop back by the Post Office to see if there were any cameras located in the small lobby!  When I went in the Post Master came out with the hawk and said some fellow had brought it back saying he thought someone had just forgotten it!  I never asked who the fellow was, but he must have got to thinking about stealing something in a Post Office and realized there could be some federal charges if he got caught!  It was a roller coaster morning of highs and lows.  A big thanks to Steve for the gift and an appreciation for Mr. Halverson's skill.  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: One for Ripley's
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 03:20:44 pm »
Well Joe - that was a close one! Glad it all worked out for you!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 03:30:51 pm »
Sheew, lucky you...twice.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 06:01:47 pm »
Joe, sure hope you went to a lottery store, man ya couldn't lose. Wow what a roller coaster of events and I could see Hawk haveing some fun with ya also. Glad it all worked out ;) Bob

Offline seabass

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:21:44 pm »
thank goodness you got it back Joe.that canteen you made me has brought me luck two times already.once hunting squirrels.i did real good on opening day.the second time was smallmouth fishing on the river by my house.i caught some nice smallies and a big flathead catfish on a crankbait.never caught a flathead on a crankbait before.so I say the canteen is lucky.i am sure glad your story had a happy ending brother.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 02:14:39 pm »
Now that I have the hawk head back I need to make a handle for it!  Maybe Mr. Halverson or Seabass can give me an idea on the length?  Really looking forward to the challenge!  Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 07:49:58 pm »
Nothing better then a Thief with a guilty conscience >:D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 10:06:07 pm »
KHalverson's work is outstanding, can't think of anyone I would rather recieve one of his tomahawk heads (other than myself)!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.