Author Topic: Sugar Maple American Flatbow  (Read 8329 times)

Offline briarjumper12

Sugar Maple American Flatbow
« on: September 14, 2013, 03:50:42 pm »
This stave was a gift from a friend from who I've learned much. If you are reading this I thank you very much.
This was the first time I used Sugar Maple and I really like it. I will be getting more of it, I assure you. Once I get some stocked up it will take the place of hickory as my go to wood for my area.
Bow stats are 62" tpt. 1 3/4" to mid limb tapering to 5/8 tips. Had to leave the tips a little wide due a knot. Osage tip overlays the thinnest, sleekest design I've done yet. This will be my go to tip design unless something better comes along. Bow pulls 38@26.  I also done up some full lenght tapered poplar arrows for this bow too.  My wife has layed claim to this one but I still plan on packin it in the deer woods a few times this fall. It is very light in the hand, much lighter than hickory. 
Questtions and constructive criticsm are always welcome.
John

« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 03:53:50 pm by briarjumper12 »

Offline briarjumper12

Re: Sugar Maple American Flatbow
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 03:52:51 pm »
A few more

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 04:54:11 pm »
If it weren't for those little knots and the overlays, I'd say this was a boring bow.  Nothing much in the fancy department, just great tiller and design.

But I am fond of these Plain Jane bows.  Like the librarian that takes off her glasses and her hair cascades in slow motion while every red blooded male realizes he missed the opportunity of a lifetime, these Plain Janes are quietly getting the work done!

Nice work, Briar.  Nice work indeed.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:15:25 pm »
Plain jane is right that bows got boobies! I can say that...right?
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 05:16:43 pm »
If it weren't for those little knots and the overlays, I'd say this was a boring bow.  Nothing much in the fancy department, just great tiller and design.

But I am fond of these Plain Jane bows.  Like the librarian that takes off her glasses and her hair cascades in slow motion while every red blooded male realizes he missed the opportunity of a lifetime, these Plain Janes are quietly getting the work done!

Nice work, Briar.  Nice work indeed.

that was a little awkward lol  ;D

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 05:22:10 pm »
What can I say, I am attracted to the plain bows.  No need for anything kinky here. 

Simple design, simple handle wrap, simple tip overlays, simply sweet tiller.  Everything I love in a good field bow. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 07:41:26 pm »
Plus it has......bumps.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 09:37:53 pm »
Wow. That is a beautiful bow. And those are some beautiful photos as well,  ;D. You gotta bangin camera.  :)
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline 4dog

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 09:47:21 pm »
I really like those tips, they are pretty awesome.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 09:54:05 pm »
Thank you gentleman for the kind words.  I know it is plain. I just am really drawn to the simplicity of the wood and can't figure out how to really spice things without compromising that simplicity.  I thought of doing some designs on the back like the indian bows I've seen but I couldn't bring myself to do it.  I just see too much beauty in the wood itself. 

As far as the knots goes, my wife also said they look nipples. I got a big kick out of that.

My camera is Nikon D90 and I really love it. I have a great love for photography and was almost ashamed to put up these photos because I just went out the yard took them. Didn't do anything fancy but I thought I went well with the bow itself. I am looking forward to hunting with this one.

PS, this is bow #15 for me since started this journey in Sept of 2009. I am slow for sure.

Offline kevinsmith5

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 10:29:49 pm »
I would never call that bow plain. It's a beautifully crafted piece of fine wood with an excellent finish.

Is a 38# bow legal to hunt with in your state? In NC they make us use at least 45# in traditional bows (compounds can be as low as 35#). I've gone round and round with a friend that is a wildlife officer about traditional bows vs. compounds and our "primitive arms" season....don't get us rolling on compound crossbows.....

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 10:31:49 pm »
That is one nice bow.  It looks very light in the hand,  like you could walk all day and not even know it is there.  Great tiller too.  What did you use for stain? :) :) :)

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 10:36:06 pm »
I would never call that bow plain. It's a beautifully crafted piece of fine wood with an excellent finish.

Is a 38# bow legal to hunt with in your state? In NC they make us use at least 45# in traditional bows (compounds can be as low as 35#). I've gone round and round with a friend that is a wildlife officer about traditional bows vs. compounds and our "primitive arms" season....don't get us rolling on compound crossbows.....

Don't know.  Hadn't thought of that.  Actually tillered it to 41@27 but marked it 38@26 for the wife since she claimed it.  I'll check into that, but I only hunt on my own property anyway so the likley hood of being checked would be nill.  Even if I never shoot at deer with it, it'll make a great small game bow.

Offline briarjumper12

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 10:39:56 pm »
That is one nice bow.  It looks very light in the hand,  like you could walk all day and not even know it is there.  Great tiller too.  What did you use for stain? :) :) :)

Used several coats of Birchwood Casey gunstock stain with 6 coats of truoil.  I really like it because it's not a pigment stain, its some kind of dye stain.  I find myself really liking dye stains because you can do multiple coats to acheive the tone you like and like and not load up the pores and not hide the grain of the wood.

Offline DLH

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 12:49:42 am »
Looks nice John did you stain it? I was down at Cumberland falls today and thought I was close to your county (Whitley?). I know the falls is on the line right? May return tomorrow to climb around the boulders near the falls.