Author Topic: Tiger maple backing?  (Read 1467 times)

Offline Blaflair2

Tiger maple backing?
« on: September 18, 2013, 04:25:22 pm »
Can I back a red oak bow with tiger maple?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Josh B

Re: Tiger maple backing?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 05:16:35 pm »
Nope.  Tiger, curly, quilted or whatever else kind of figured maple gets it figure from irregular grain flow.  Everyone of those pretty stripes is a grain violation.  Josh

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 07:49:23 pm »
Nope.  Tiger, curly, quilted or whatever else kind of figured maple gets it figure from irregular grain flow.  Everyone of those pretty stripes is a grain violation.  Josh

+1 Josh is right.  Think of it as a real roller coaster of a stave that you just cut all of the hills and valleys out of and made it flat.   All kinds of violations :)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 07:50:59 pm »
Would it be an ok core wood?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:00:21 pm »
not being able to see much of it would be a bit of a waste in my opinion, but would probably work, just not as well as other types of wood for core material. even just flat grain hard maple would preform better i would guess but for ascetics It would not be as flashy
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Polar Bear

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 09:06:57 pm »
Hard rock maple is a good core wood like red elm.  I think that unless you were going to put it under glass it wouldn't as back or belly wood.
When we do right no one remembers, when we do wrong no one forgets.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 05:29:51 am »
I used a piece of curly maple for the core of a backed bow and WOW was I impressed! I've never seen so many frets in a bow, anywhere, ever. Actually, that bow had more frets in it than all the bows I've ever seen combined.

I didn't waste any more of it, and put the rest of that beautiful wood in glass bows.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer