Author Topic: starting yew  (Read 1989 times)

Offline jpayne

starting yew
« on: September 23, 2013, 07:51:20 pm »
I've come across a lot of yew seeds in a hedgerow. How do i go about starting them to grow?

Offline echatham

Re: starting yew
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:08:19 pm »
dirt, water, sunshine.   it also helps if you sing to them for at least an hour a day.   ;)

Don Case

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:23:43 pm »
How old are you? Are your grandchildren going to boyers and live in your house? >:D

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 08:45:21 pm »
Put them in the fridge for 3 weeks first. Then use a growth hormone to get it started. Good results.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Weylin

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:25:21 pm »
Some bowyer 200 years from now is really going to appreciate your effort.  ;D Out of curiosity, where in the country are you and what variety of yew is it?

Offline DGF

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 04:57:34 am »
Some bowyer 200 years from now is really going to appreciate your effort. 

Yup! It's all about sustainability. Good on you for giving back on what we take.

-Dan
Wyoming, MI

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:33:43 am »
If there are seeds you my find tiny saplings too, these can be lifted and moved to somewhere suitable.
There's a Yew tree in our garden and Mrs Cat leaves all the little splings that gow in the flower beds, once they are about 4 or 5" tall I take 'em out to the woods and plant 'em somewhere suitable.
It's good to give nature a hand. Cuttings will grow too. There is often a mass of growth doen low on Yews, these will take as cuttings.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dmenzies1950

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 02:15:32 pm »
jpayne, Here in the PNW I've only seen yew growing in the under story of huge doug fir, cedar, and hemlock trees. In other words they take a long time to grow to bow size! Like a couple of the others said go ahead and plant them and be sure to pass down your bow building skills so future generations can enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Dale
"His bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One, the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel." Genesis 49:24