Author Topic: Elm Stave  (Read 4395 times)

Offline meanewood

Elm Stave
« on: September 25, 2013, 08:16:28 pm »
I have got an Elm stave ready seasoned to go but the heartwood is very deep into the wood (35mm).
I was planning to chase a ring down in order to get some heartwood all along the belly. Elm looks great with the sapwood / heartwood combination but is the heartwood better for compression than the sapwood in Elm? I'm hoping to get around the 100lb mark with this bow but have not made an all sapwood Elm bow before!
Any thoughts from you guys would be appreciated.

Offline meanewood

Re: Elm Stave
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 05:05:06 pm »
Must say, I'm underwelmed by the response so far!
Can anyone tell me if the sapwood on Elm is as good on the belly as the heartwood?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:52:52 am »
Sorry don't know anything about elm hope someone who does will chime in here soon
I like osage

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 04:18:17 am »
Elm sapwood will work fine as for the heartwood i'm afraid i've never bothered to chase a ring on elm to get any in a bow.
I did once see a lovely longbow made with a heartwood belly on paleoplanet but it was a long time ago. Maybe go on there and try searching for it.

Offline }|{opukc

• Patience my friend !!!
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2013, 06:32:05 am »
And heartwood and sapwood will work well for belly for elm bow - no need to chase rings. Yes, the bow looks very good with the heartwood, but that does not change the quality.
Best regards from Bulgaria - George

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 02:40:49 pm »
The member nidrinir on paleoplanet ( his website is http://wwwnorwegeanwarbows,com// ) has made a good amount of elm warbows, of incredible weights. I remember a couple he posted with a bit of brown heartwood on the belly. I have also seen Druid on here post some very nice elm warbows, I think with a touch of heartwood here and there, if I remember correctly. I myself have no experience with elm, the only elm I ever cut checked too bad to make a bow, :(. You might be able to contact one of those guys though and pick their brain about it?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 11:34:01 am by mullet »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:19:29 pm »
This thread has made me start on a nice Elm 1/4 log I was given, nice thin sapwood. Should look like 'poor mans Yew' :laugh:
I've got a few warbows in the pipeline.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 08:14:23 pm »
I have only made one bow so far from elm and was surprised that the draw weight only came in at 65lb at 31in. The bow is 36mm x28mm in the handle and is 74in NTN. It is very light though so I'm going to up the width and thickness a lot in order to get around the 100lb mark!

mikekeswick

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 03:42:08 am »
Umm interesting.
At those dimensions I would have expected a heavier weight.
I'm making a 120# @ 30 elm longbow for a customer at the momnet and it has similar handle dimensions (of course what is happening in the rest of the limbs matters somewhat!).
It is 78 inch long and 1 1/2 wide by 1 1/8 thick at the handle.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 07:11:12 am »
Yes, I suppose this must come down to its density. It is light so perhaps I'll get different results with my next stave!
Is there much difference between elm and wytch elm?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 05:45:35 am »
Looks like there's an outbreak of Elm Warbowitis...  :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Heffalump

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 05:53:31 am »
Hey Del. now might be a very good time for you to join the EWBS, even if only as an associate member (a paltry tenner to you squire), simply to get access to their forum. Currently some really good threads on elm warbow staves and loads of pics for you to drool over.....and once you get talking to those boys......well, just have a look   ;)
Semper Specto in Vitae Parte Clara