Author Topic: Score on opening day in Tennessee  (Read 5416 times)

Offline Gsulfridge

Score on opening day in Tennessee
« on: September 29, 2013, 10:35:45 pm »
I couldn't wait to get in the woods this year with a hand made bow and test my skills. It was a little warm, but cooled off nicely near sunset. The deer were moving and it wasn't long before I had a spike at 20 yds, quartering away. It stepped/flinched at the shot and I missed wide. To my surprise, it came closer and stopped broadside. By this time I was a wreck. I nocked another arrow and promptly sent it down range. Left/right was perfect this time, but just over its back!  The deer circled back up the hill before hooking back around and coming in below me at 15 yds!  Again I nocked an arrow, but the spike had had enough and scampered on over the hill and out of sight. Quite exciting to say the least. Just before dark another buck, a six point, showed up but didn't present a shot. Opening day score: deer 2 - rookie primitive hunter 0
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Score on opening day in Tennessee
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 12:16:31 am »
Keep with it Greg.  That sounds like some of my hunts last year.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2013, 12:34:26 am »
That sounds like a great opening morning to me.  At least you were able to shoot.  I hunted at Brian's this weekend.  Friday evening I saw 5 deer, a doe with a large fawn, then later a doe with 2 large fawns.  Both occasions they were spooked by my ground blind.  Deer on this farm are spooked very easy. They stomped and kept coming closer.  First doe got within 15 yards but was staring straight into my window, stomping.  The second doe walked straight to me to within 10 yards but was staring in the window.  I couldn't move on either of those.  The a 60/70 pound fawn stopped broadside at 15 yards, but it was too dark to shoot.  Man it was fun.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2013, 07:49:19 am »
Hedgeapple, it was a great hunt.  Considering I didnt even get a shot last year, it was an awesome hunt!  Im pumped!  I leave this Friday to go out to Land Between the Lakes (near Twin Oaks) for a week long hunt.  Im counting down the days! :D

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:03:16 pm »
Greg,
That was a great first day.....Saw deer got some shots, man what a day in the woods.  The LBL is a cool place, good luck!
Bill
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 06:51:49 am »
Great day,have fun at LBL,watch the ticks and little rattlers,heard the hunting was getting much better over there. Hang in ,it will happen.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 08:24:04 am »
Pappy, we have had near 100% success rate out there for the last few years.  I have hunted out there since the 90s and love it.  It is a far sight better than east Tennessee!  I just hope the "Government Shutdown" dont keep us from getting to go.