Author Topic: White Oak/ Indian Rosewood Longbow  (Read 8966 times)

Offline doulosparachristos

White Oak/ Indian Rosewood Longbow
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:45:18 pm »
So here is my first English Longbow style creation; It's 71'' of Indian Rosewood backed with White Oak, a simple leather handle and buffalo horn tips. She is also pulling about #50@28, but  tillered to 31''. after a good round of shooting there is about 2'' of string follow ( I'm a string-follow-Nazi, so this is hard to accept) however, it goes to about an inch when rested. Until now I had never shot a ELB design, consequently, I'm totally hooked; It has a smooth draw, decent power, and pretty dang accurate. Brutal criticism accepted. Thanks

Roy
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: White Oak/ Indian Rosewood Longbow
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:00:35 pm »
Very nice.  Great finish work.  I am yet to make one.  Looks like a blast...I really like how elegant the rosewood with the oak came out.  Very striking :)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:11:12 pm »
I cannot criticize since I've never made and english longbow but I have seen them and I think that bow of yours is very nice. Great looking bow to me and the finish work is outstanding. Thats a bow to be proud of.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline bow101

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 11:15:00 pm »
The wood combo looks great, nice job
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Adam

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:21:20 pm »
No criticism here.  You did a heck of a job on that one!

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:28:28 pm »
Very nice looking bow.  The two woods look great together.  Where do you get the buffalo horn for your tips?
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:29:08 pm »
Looks real nice!  If I was to nitpick, I'd say the upper limb might be bending a bit much in the inner half (and I suspect that is where the majority of your set is occurring), and not enough in the outer 1/3, but over all, that's a damn fine weapon.  Those woods look really nice together, and as mentioned, your finishing work looks excellent.

Offline doulosparachristos

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 12:07:30 am »
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I also noticed that the upper limb looks like its bending a tad too much after I posted the full draw picture, I'm not sure how I missed it during tillering; I may start using the Paint program to check my tiller. The buffalo horn came from EchoArchery.com

Roy
Philippians 3: 7-11

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 01:36:57 am »
I don't call a bow done until I have in the hand full draw pictures. Sometimes what you see on the tiller tree and what you see while drawing the bow by hand are not the same.

Nice bow, bye the way! I've never tried rose wood, but heard good things about it. What are your thoughts, having made one?

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 02:22:31 am »
Elb's needed to be tillered more elliptically.
Just think - there is a lot of thickness taper going on with these sort of bows. So as the wood gets thinner it can and should be bending more. So just think more elliptically  ;)
As i'm tillering these sort of bows i'm looking for that first bit of set - this tells you straight away about the tiller - simply scrape/work where there is no set.
Aim for there to be none inner limb, a little midlimb and most in the outer limbs.
Beware rosewoods and wood yards.....the true rosewood is cocobolo. Many other woods are labelled rosewood too. I'm pretty sure yours isn't cocobolo, it looks like this stuff that is being made into furniture by 'fairtrade' companies. I've seen a few shops doing it over here, they buy this furntiture in from India where it's been made by workers getting paid peanuts and the wood is cheap as chips. Then sell it here for a price that we couldn't even buy the raw timber for. Fairtrade???
Anyway lovely bow - just work on the tiller of your next one and you should be able to keep set below 1 inch.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 09:55:20 am »
Now that is a beauty,really like the contrast of the wood. Nice work. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 10:05:42 am »
That sure did shine up contrasting beautifully.A pleasant bow to shoot I'm sure.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline burn em up chuck

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 11:10:37 am »
   very very nice

chuck
Honored to say I'm a Member of the

Twin Oaks Bowhunters club

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 01:06:34 pm »
Great finish work on an excellent ELB. good job man
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 01:41:16 pm »
Absolutely perfect! Elegant and beautiful. I love it.
"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway