Author Topic: well it's a boat  (Read 3798 times)

Offline BowSlayer

well it's a boat
« on: October 05, 2013, 12:50:35 pm »
but not a very good one. at the start of the summer i started out on this project not knowing anyting about boats except that they float and go in water. i think i only done half a days planning by drawing out some plans. after that i was just going on pictures and videos i'd seen on youtube. the frame is made from pine and PVC with a plastic skin. this is my first boat and i prommise the next will be alot better. overall i spent around £47 on it. here are the pics i took along the way. thanks.

at this point i put the project on hold as i was working on bows and other stuff. when i looked at starting it again last week i decided to scrap that design and go back to the frame. i then decided to use a bow in the boat and then use PVC for the ribs. then i got out the staple gun and started stapling the plastic to the frame.

thanks for looking im thinking of calling it the S.S Squirel Slayer (S.S S.S) ::)
London, England.

45#@28"

JacksonCash

Re: well it's a boat
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 01:04:55 pm »
Neat project! Congrats on getting it done. I bet you learned a couple things along the way, and that is always worth the effort.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 01:14:01 pm »
Neat project! Congrats on getting it done. I bet you learned a couple things along the way, and that is always worth the effort.

yeah i learnt some things along the way. im already working on planning the next one made from a piece of aluminium sheeting. it's almost like the material wan'ts to be a boat because it's got grooves in it which will make it more stabble in the watter. (i think) but this one will have some matterial on the top like a real kayak!
London, England.

45#@28"

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 02:22:20 pm »
From what little I know of fluid dynamics, you are absolutely correct about the ribs in the aluminum. It will help the boat track straight in the water. Rally cars (and other race cars) will have similar things on the roof to these:

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2013, 03:19:43 pm »
Good job! Wear a life jacket.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, 03:53:57 pm »
Good job! Wear a life jacket.

haha, thanks.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 03:58:29 pm »
From what little I know of fluid dynamics, you are absolutely correct about the ribs in the aluminum. It will help the boat track straight in the water. Rally cars (and other race cars) will have similar things on the roof to these:

thought so. the groves in this aluminium are along the entire length.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 04:07:15 pm »
Lots of info on line about how to make simple boats with minimum tools /skills /money /materials. Do some searches  and you will be paddling around in no time! Good luck!......................... It stopped raining.Now I'm going rabbit hunting!

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 10:32:41 pm »
pretty neat project there young man!

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, 01:14:56 am »
http://forum.woodenboat.com/index.php Go here for all your boat building questions. Be careful though. This is a very addicting hobby. Point of advice up front. These are very helpful guys, but very critical of folks who ignore sound advice. They will literally walk you through every step of the way, from helping you pick the right style boat and plans for you to build, to the selection of wood, glue, fasteners, and to fitting it out. Good luck. There is nothing quite so rewarding as building your own boat. Keep us updated on this would you? 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline wildman

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, 01:58:47 am »
When I was a bit younger than you I built one much like that from saplings and very heavy plastic. I did get wet,but it worked. Good luck!
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-