Author Topic: Tree-magedon snowstorm of Oct 2013  (Read 3555 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Tree-magedon snowstorm of Oct 2013
« on: October 08, 2013, 12:12:46 am »

Been a little busy to check in, what with 16 hours of shovelling, 8 hours of chainsawing and dragging limbs, and fixing damaged mews for the hawks and owls at the Black Hills Raptor Center.  That's just the front yard.  There is that much more in the back, too.  Plus the nieghbors that aren't able to take care of their own wrecked trees. 

We got 18+ inches of wet, heavy snow here in Rapid City, but up in Lead/Deadwood they got in excess of 48 inches of the stuff.  Many parts of town are still without power and some don't even have running water (One guy in particular is the Culligan man!!!)  For now I have it all out of the street and bucked up in piles, hoping the National Guard will be coming around to pick up.  If they don't, I am gonna have to found up a trailer.  Gun Doc?  You got a flatbed and are you in the area???

Towards the end of the storm I was bug-house crazy (more than usual) and went around the neighborhood knocking on doors to check on folks.  I handed out my phone number to everyone with instructions to call if they needed anything. When things finally shook out on Saturday the neighborhood started coming out of their houses and we all banded together Saturday and again Sunday to get everyone dug out and get downed limbs taken care of.  They may not be P.A. Community, but many of them rose to that standard of caring. 

But get this...of all the stuff I sawed up, not a lick of it would have been decent bow wood...NOT EVEN A FREAKING PAIR OF BILLETS!!!  Heart rotted chinese elm, branch ridden silver maple, box elder, cottonwoods, scrub juniper, and Lombardy poplars. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Tree-magedon snowstorm of Oct 2013
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 01:21:56 am »
Good Grief Sir!

Looks like Y'all got Hammered...

Glad that You and the Birds made it through undamaged.
Good on you for checking on neighbors.

Sorry to hear your Bow Wood Drought is still in effect.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 01:46:24 am »
 you must live not very far from me. Every tree you just named is every where around here the Chinese elms are every where and silver maples and cottonwoods the silver maple tends to break first during storms And a Chinese elm branch smashed my neighbors porch earlier this summer
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 01:51:52 am by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 03:32:58 am »
Whoa - talk about slammed ! Bless You JW for all the work and Help there Bud. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 09:01:27 am »
JW, thats natures way of doing some pruning :( Once and while we get early heavy wet snow and if the leaves are still on it gets real ugly, Becareful branchs popping way after the storm. :o :o  Bob

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 09:41:12 am »
I feel for ya JW, we had a similar October storm in our area a few years back. I spent 3 days cutting trees and limbs from the yards of friends and family.Streets were impassable from the trees and power lines,some people were without power for 10 days.We lost a lot of trees.
Stay safe, hope all goe's well.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Olanigw (Pekane)

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 11:04:00 am »
Snow before leaf drop is devastating.  Glad no one got hurt and I hope your trees can recover.
"Good enough" is the enemy of great
PN501018

Offline Stoker

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 03:49:09 pm »
Wow that's a early storm.. Glad nobodies hurt
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 06:09:15 pm »
OH My JW
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 05:21:43 pm »
JW - at this moment I wish I was there to help! It would take away some of my feelings of uselessness as I wait for congress to pull their heads out!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 09:10:02 pm »
Gave the neighborhood a taste of the Primitive Archer Way! Just paying it forward. (Or in my case trying to even out Karma!)

See if you can bottle that sense of felling useless, Ben.  We'll douse Congress with it as a reality check!   >:D

I took a break yesterday afternoon and drove over to Newcastle, Wyoming.  I stopped partway there to stalk a gorgeous little basket rack 4x4 whitetail and ended up late for supper.  It was still a mighty good time, mighty good indeed.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 09:36:11 pm »
Wow!  What a mess!  Thankfully....I was not in the area for that! :o. I'm sure we could've stuffed a bunch of those limbs in the manhole on my tanker, but I'm afraid I would've only been able to haul off one load.  I don't think that my pump would do a very good job unloading branches!  Lol! I'm glad to see you that you managed to make it through that blast.  Josh

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 10:59:28 pm »
Yes that's a mess.You need the excercize right?I would'nt wish that on anybody.Winter coming in with a bang.Things shutting down etc.Been through things like that too and just hope we are not in the way of something like that this year.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2013, 11:34:10 pm »
Yes that's a mess.You need the excercize right?I would'nt wish that on anybody.Winter coming in with a bang.Things shutting down etc.Been through things like that too and just hope we are not in the way of something like that this year.

Summer came in like this too, remember Ed?  I drove thru a flipping blizzard in Iowa in May to get to Iowabow's place!

You are right, though, who needs to be out archery hunting when he could be hucking 60 lb shovelfulls of heavy wet snow over the shoulder for hours at a time?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 06:17:59 am »
Wow! I think I'll stick with our Hurricanes. At least getting hit by them is like rolling dice unless you live in La. :D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?