Author Topic: eastern red cedar bow design ideas?  (Read 6468 times)

Eric Kol

eastern red cedar bow design ideas?
« on: December 07, 2007, 12:49:01 am »
Hey folks,
couple of questions I can't seem to find answers to in the books I've been reading.
for eastern Red cedar, do I remove the back down to hard wood or keep the sap wood? If keeping the sap wood, should I keep it all, or just a few rings on top of the hard wood?
secondly, what bow designs tend to show off what ERC is capable of? If you were to build one of ERC for your next bow, what would the dimensions of the bow be?
What are the pros and cons of this wood?
Thanks, Eric

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: eastern red cedar bow design ideas?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 04:15:02 am »
Eric,  The only wood I routinely have access to for harvesting is Rocky Mountain juniper (aka Colorado red cedar), which is very similar to ERC.  Others will jump in with their ideas, but here goes.
Treat ERC as a white wood.  There is no need to chase rings or otherwise reduce the back.  ERC and other junipers are reported to be weak in tension and bows made from them need to be made fairly wide.  Narrower bows are ok if backed, but will probably take more set than ideal.  Even wide bows will benefit from a thin backing.  Sinew works very well with junipers and west coast indians sometimes used the local junipers with sinew backing to make very short (but wide limbed) bows. 
If you want more of the colorful heart wood to show, or if you have a high crowned stave from a narrow tree, you can work the back down.  If you do this you will have to back the bow.  Again sinew works very well.  I haven't used rawhide on juniper, but suspect it would work.  Thin hickory backing might work.  Do not use bamboo, as it is too strong and will definitely cause the bow to take excessive set.
One of my favorite bows is based on plains indian bows.  66 inches long, narrow handle, limbs two inches wide just above the fades, gull wing profile, two layers of sinew and snake skins.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers