Author Topic: 2nd point. How did I do?  (Read 5718 times)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
2nd point. How did I do?
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:57:10 pm »
I wanted to dig into my obsidian, tried to make a point like the ones Scott sent me.
Is there anything better I could have done?

Thanks

-Pinecone
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

Re: 2nd point. How did I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 06:16:54 pm »
maybe bleed a little more >:D, hell that's a nice point, just keep at it, bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 06:20:07 pm »
2nd point!?!?  Is there anything you can't do Bryce?  The only possible advice I can offer is to straighten your cutting edge.  It is sort of zig zagging back and forth a bit.  If you get the cutting edge in a straight line it will penetrate much better.  Other than that, that's impressive!  Josh

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 06:22:34 pm »
Turn it upside down so that red streak looks like a 7.  Right now it looks like an L... and it's definitely not a Loser.  ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 06:44:16 pm »
2nd point!?!?  Is there anything you can't do Bryce?  The only possible advice I can offer is to straighten your cutting edge.  It is sort of zig zagging back and forth a bit.  If you get the cutting edge in a straight line it will penetrate much better.  Other than that, that's impressive!  Josh

Will do :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline RyanR

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2013, 07:15:11 pm »
That's a really neat looking point.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 09:52:50 pm »
Nice work Bryce is that your 2nd point you ever made or the 2nd point of the day it looks good. 8)

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 09:58:25 pm »
Nice work Bryce is that your 2nd point you ever made or the 2nd point of the day it looks good. 8)

2nd point ever.

I tried that novaculite. But I wasn't aggressive enough with it and I couldn't get it down so I put the box aside. This obsidian is more suited for me. Takes a gentle touch. And not much effort and I like that :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 11:42:56 pm »
Ok. So these are my thoughts for improvement. A goal to shoot for so to speak? I see that some of the mass on your point is more on one side of the center line that the other side. This is really just a looks thing in my opinion but i suppose it is possible for it to affect flight patterns and strength? so maybe work on removing mass from the point so the sides are fairly even. also getting the zig zags smaller so its a bit straighter would probably look better and allow for a smoother pass into an animal. Next is the profile, it looks much better than anything I've made but it does have some of it sticking out side the triangular line and some that is inside by a bit, so working on keeping it on the line of the triangle or whatever line you are trying to work with(could be a curved for some point like a gunther, and serrations are fine for that of course.) This one is purely aesthetics and nothing more(I think) and is just something that would make it look nicer. Over all for a second point it is exceedingly nice! Much better than what I have made and I'm at something like 30 points.

Also, can you post pics of what you are using for tools? I would really like to see what you are using and maybe thats something to how you're doing as well as natural talent.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2013, 11:44:42 pm »
nice work Pinecone!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 01:44:06 am »
Graham, those lumps of mass are areas that I couldn't reach. That picture of the edge is just showing the edge and is at an angle. I agree with the zig zag part though and I'll fix it later.

At his point I don't really care about perfection, or flake scare patterns and all that. Just honing the skill a bit. Diving in head first.
I think I might have made it too thin in the first place:/

Thanks peeps! Everything noted :)
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Tower

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 01:53:59 am »
I don't see anything wrong with that point.  I'd haft it up & use it.   Nice skills your working on.  :).   Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 02:52:21 am »
That's perfectly fine, I realize that often there are things that we can't do very well if at all. Its just what I'm noting as something to work towards because that would be closer to mastery of the skill, and practice towards that goal is good for many things in knapping other than looks I'm sure.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 03:03:04 am »
that is a beautiful piece of material I wish I could make one like that ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 06:04:52 am »
That looks like a great point I wouldn't hesitate to put on a stick. Fine job with that one, sir.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?