Author Topic: former caveman dinner  (Read 14091 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
former caveman dinner
« on: December 08, 2007, 03:20:16 pm »
   I thought I'd share this with everybody.I don't know how familiar everybody is with fossils,but I thought since this is the caveman section I'd show you some remains of their chief prey.These pictures are the molars of  a species of small Mastodon and the Woolly Mammoth.I found the little 3 humper mastodon tooth at work and the Mammoth tooth diving the rivers.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Tom B

Re: former caveman dinner
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 03:34:33 pm »
thats cool eddie.wouldn't have known if you didn't tell me.have a good hunt with cade if i dont talk to ya sooner.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:42:48 pm »
 Thanks Tom,
Lakeland, Florida

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 09:24:46 pm »
I've seen one of those before - it's in the San Jacinto monument museum, I believe they found it in the marsh while building the road in. Nice find!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 11:12:08 pm »
Sure those aint coprolites there Eddie :D? Cool find...got a freind at work thats found 2 of them in the same creek not far from me. They look like huge molars, bigger than a fist.....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 11:34:19 pm »
   Mastodon or Mammoth ,Brian?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 11:37:53 pm »
Told me mammoth, but he wasnt sure...maybe I can talk him out of a picture to post here....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 09:01:04 am »
Cool stuff, Eddie. I've got a big chunk of mammoth molar that I got from your buddy Rick down at the Clinch River knap-in. Pretty fascinating stuff.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

gene roberts

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 07:55:52 pm »
former,thats whats for dinner over here,jk

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 11:47:08 pm »
Golly! By the title I thought you were going to post some coprolite's (Fossilized human Pooh!)!!!
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 06:21:46 pm »
  That was just to get your attention,David.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 11:45:19 pm »

Cool!  I am glad that you stated it was a mastodon tooth.  When I first looked at it, it look like fossilized " former cave man food ".
I have a Friend that lives on the peace river in Arcadia, and he has a nice peice of a pelvis of some sort of critter.  I have some pieces of sea cow rib, and some pieces I don't know what they are.  But he is in a nice place, and there is a deep hole in the river, right next to his house.  Yep it is on stilts.  But there are a lot neat stuff found in that river.  You have a couple of nice fossils.  I would like to find some like that.  Oh, while I am at it, when would be a good time to get together with, and your neighbor, to go over some knapping, and such.  I will buy the refreshments.  Are you still working in La. ?  I am retired, and pooor now.  My income has been cut in less than half.  But I can still afford to buy refreshments.  But anyhoo, I am not hindered by work anymore, so whenever it would be convenient for you let me know.  I would love to meet you, and go over knapping, and other primitive stuff.

Stick Bender  ( Wayne Kimberly )

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 09:21:09 pm »
  Sorry Wayne, I just saw this. The Mammoth tooth came out of the Peace River just a little south of Ft. Meade. If you want to get together and go by Claudes, send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number. Don't worry about the liquid refreshments, He is a teetotaler, but I always have some in the fridge in the shop. I'm going back to Brazil in a week or so but you can email me at work, just PM me.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 11:53:34 pm »
it would take a big pot of beans to cook the jowls with that those come out of
                                                  Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline TRACY

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 04:27:54 pm »
That's cool. A friend of mine unearthed a juvenile mastadon in Indiana a couple of years ago. The irony was that it was in his sunflower dove field and our lab's kept messing with a "stick" where we were shooting and curiosity got the best of him (Veterinarian) and ended up excavating a fully intact juvenile mastadon. It's at the State Museum in Indianapolis on display.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956