Author Topic: Surprise Yew!!!  (Read 1808 times)

Offline okie64

Surprise Yew!!!
« on: October 22, 2013, 10:50:39 pm »
When I got home from work today I noticed a long package leaned up next to the garage door. I had a pretty good idea what it was but wasnt expecting any packages so really had no idea who it was from. When I looked it over and saw it was from Brad Miller, aka "steelslinger", I thought to myself this could be really good. I wasnt disappointed when I got it open and inside was a beautiful piece of yew!!  I have been wanting to try my hand with some yew for a long time but have no access to it so to say I was excited would be an understatement. Brad said it was cut in July so I have some drying time to ponder the design. Thanks a ton Brad and I really look forward to working with it. Any design ideas or tips on working with yew are more than welcome here. My 8 year old daughter took the pics so sorry if theyre not the best quality.

Offline Arrowind

Re: Surprise Yew!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 10:51:21 pm »
Lucky dog!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:44:43 pm »
I can't see the ring count but the sapwood thickness looks pretty good. Just remove the bark to find the back of your bow.
 Is it fresh cut? If so I'd split(or saw) it in half. The only yew log I had(2" dia) I left whole and it checked badly. I did get one good bow out of it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:47:52 am »
Nice score!
Bandsaw it in two halves, to make two bows out of it. If you try to split it, you will likely lose both halves due to tear out and/or twist. You can also chop away the bad half down to the heart of the log, to get one good bow. But that might be a waste for the other half you chop down.
Make sure the ends are sealed. Don't remove the bark until it has at least partly dried. Do not put it to dry in the round, but reduce it at least somewhat in the next few weeks.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 07:04:59 am »
Very cool,looks like a future bow to me.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 10:20:38 am »
I wasn't surprised at all okie.....;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline steelslinger

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, 04:19:34 pm »
I wasn't surprised at all okie.....;)

Thanks PD

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, 09:57:14 pm »
I dont know what you had to do with it pd but if it helped get me this piece of yew then I need to say thanks to you too.  :) I got her sawn in half today, much easier than cutting osage.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 10:58:09 pm »
Looks like a good one......have fun.