Author Topic: A Bunch of Points  (Read 1191 times)

Ahnlaashock

A Bunch of Points
« on: October 26, 2013, 07:53:30 pm »
Some of the points were fluted on one side.  Even some of the small ones.  The badly broken point was broken trying to flute it.   Many of the sample were curved badly, like they were made from blades or flakes.  I did not include them. 
There are very few with notches of any kind.  Many are quite thick, and even more have bumps in the middle on one or both sides that they did not bother to remove.  The three sideways on the bottom are very thin, and one is fingernail thin.  A lot of the smaller points are one sided, as are some of the larger points also.  I did not include the obvious single sided pieces this time. 
I picked a sample that shows the over all tendencies within the group, but I also included a couple of the odd balls.  Only one that might be called a drill so far, and I did not include it either. 
The first may be a knife, but it still follows the same pattern pretty much. 
Anyway, here is a representative sample of the points so far examined.

Anyone want to tell me what these appear to be?  Thanks in advance!

Ahnlaashock

Re: A Bunch of Points
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 04:34:01 pm »
As I look, I find more patterns.  There is a five sided point pattern.  There is a round bottom point pattern.   There are the obvious curving sides, whale tail base points.  There are some notched points, but few.  There is an entire group of triangular points with straight sides. 
There were a lot of single sided pieces that had humps on the back of the curved side, and the convex side was left unworked, or was not worked back towards straight at all.  After spending enough time to recognize the pattern, and some magnification, they are not points at all, and likely were never intended to be points at all.  The hump is to make them strong, and the ends of every single one of them has been sharpened to make them cut when dragged towards you.  I assume the pointed end was to use a handle with them.  The dark point with the convex base in the picture, is not a point at all.  It is a scraper for scraping things like arrow shafts. 
Interesting discovery. 
There were a collection of points that appeared to misshapen and ill formed.  Wrong again.  They are every single one, a cutting blade or knife blade.  Again, once the pattern becomes apparent, it is easy to see.  Several of them have flats on them that appear to be designed to allow some kind of handle that gripped from the sides.  A couple are just rough and sharpened on one side, with minimal work elsewhere.  The majority fit the same pattern as the bigger hand knives, and they are obviously sharpened for the use of the blade edge.  There are as many blades as there are just about any single kind of point.