Author Topic: Halloween Bow. "frankenstein" (more pics added)  (Read 11104 times)

Offline BowSlayer

Halloween Bow. "frankenstein" (more pics added)
« on: October 31, 2013, 09:07:00 pm »
Hi all i decided to take your advice with this bow and take it slow i didn't rush and it paid off. each year the archery club has a halloween party so i decided to make a bow especialy for the occasion. i started this bow off a few weeks ago. And i did go for a very mild "Z" shaped handle but when i arrived and started shooting i relised the room was quiet. the recurve and compound archers started looking at me.

after some snacks and drinks i decided to let them have a go. and i think i may have even convinced one of the compound shooters to start shooting long/flat bows now looking at the pics the oil i finnished it with gives it a yellow tint making it look a tiny bit like osage! but it's another oak bow.

i decided to do some art work to the bow so i made a ghost  and bat stencil and started spraying. then i got a black marker and drew stitches on the belly. i realised i covered the bit where you put name and DW with stitches so i put it on the tip of the bow. i also added a leather handle and i wanted to make the stitches look "rough" so i cut a strip from the leather and used that.

this might also be my last bow unless i find the perfect yew stave or maybe even the 2014 bow trade but appart from that im going to take a break from this bow making.  i will probabaly still make posts. anyway putting that aside lets focus on the bow in question, how about some stats?

65" TTT
37#@28"
Oak
Z-shaped handle.

and now the pics

me in my vampire costume

and now the money shot F/D

and here are the pics of some other guys shooting it

and here is the compound archer, not using a compound :o

thanks for looking, and please keep the comments about the bow ;)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:59:31 pm by BowSlayer »
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Halloween Bow. "frankenstein"
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:39:30 pm »
That turned out sweet!! Nice work.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:13:08 pm »
That's pretty witty! I like the decorations and the Z handle.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 10:27:15 pm »
so much for stopping posting on this site. But finally you produce a decent bow. Good job man.

Jon

Offline adb

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 10:41:14 pm »
 :o :o :o I thought you were done with us?

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 10:48:54 pm »
 Nice job dude.
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 11:06:03 pm »
Pretty nice tiller there young man!  I have some concerns about the grain of your board though.  Its hard to get a good read on it with this little phone screen, so maybe its not as bad as it looks.  Big improvement nonetheless!  Well done!  Josh

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 11:26:53 pm »
You did a good job. The bow looks fantastic and I'd say you deserve a round of applause. :o ;D 8) ;) :)
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:31:32 pm »
Good
I like osage

Offline bowsandroses

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 11:47:25 pm »
Looks dang fine from where I sit. Congrats! ;)
My two cents worth of wisdom
One who seeks solitude will find their inner spirit.

A man who speaks to critters is a man with an audience who listens
                                              Hugh Ridenour

Offline ionicmuffin

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 12:11:58 am »
:o :o :o I thought you were done with us?

so much for stopping posting on this site. But finally you produce a decent bow. Good job man.

Jon

Absolutely no offence to you two, but he did say in his post in the "Around the Campfire" section that he would quit after he had finished his last bow, I know its been a while but he did take his time. I only bring this up because I do remember that precise meaning and intention being mentioned in his previous post and since he's gotten so much crap in the past of which most of it he deserved, but now he did follow through on what he said he would do...don't make judgment calls unless you are absolutely sure you know what they said. Here he has claimed that he would make one more and probably quit, he's followed up with the first part, if he chooses to leave then that's his decisions.

Anyway, nice bow! Be careful though saying that you will just join the trade. Remember that this is not quite hunting weight and its the first one that is of quality so far, this means that you would still need to practice making bows. I got turned down after making a decent bow or two. If you want to take part in trades you want to be giving someone a quality bow, that means you should still practice, even if someone has done something 100 times nicely doesn't mean that its really good. If you remind yourself that you are lacking in skill and that you can do better then you will be humble and not get hurt by people on this site turning you down for a trade.
Amo innectis arcus- I love crafting bows (latin)

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 01:52:39 am »
Very nicely done! Looks cool. I like the stitches look.

Well on whatever u decide good luck to ya kid
Nothing ventured nothing gained

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 04:15:30 am »
Good effort young un.

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 04:22:18 am »
Thanks for the kind words everyone.  And thanks for the advice muffin.
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:42:08 am »
Spot-on tiller. The grain looks a little chancy - like you may get some twist in the limb, but if it works (and obviously it does) then congrats! It looks great!
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3