Author Topic: Yellow Jasper point I think.  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Majuba Tom

Yellow Jasper point I think.
« on: November 03, 2013, 05:45:08 pm »
I went rock collecting on Friday. I had some good luck with finding chert, agate, chalcedony, and several types of Jasper's. I thought we had only red Jasper's around here. But it looks like I found Red, brown, yellow and mookite.

Here is a picture of the yellow jasper point I just made and the host rock. It has not been heat treated (raw stone). I think it is yellow jasper but I might be wrong. Please let me know if you can tell what type of rock it is from the photo.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
Re: Yellow Jasper point I think.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 07:58:41 pm »
WOW !! What an awesome point. Wish I could find some rock like that :o
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:47:32 pm »
I am not sure what people call that type of rock, but you made a great point from it.  Very nice indeed.

I read a article a while back about the various forms of micro crystalline quartz. They basically said that lots of jasper is simply a certain color of chalcedony, which is a microcrystalline quartz, like most all knapping material. It is worth skimming over...you may have to jump from paragraph to paragraph to get the jest.

http://gemhunter.webs.com/chalcedony.htm

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 09:51:45 pm »
Thanks for the info. I have a lot to learn about Jasper's. I found out Mookaite Jasper is from Australia in the states it is Desert Jasper.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 10:09:39 pm »
All of it (chert, flint, jasper, agate, etc.) is cryptocrystalline quartz in one form or variance or another, barring obsidian which is pure silica - aka glass. We just call it different stuff to differentiate it. Regardless, you found cool material and made a nice point from it.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 10:55:15 pm »
Sweet point.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 08:17:17 am »
Cool point and some pretty rock!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 04:11:04 pm »
I am glad everyone liked the point and the rock. I had fun making it. Once that rock is heat treated it should Knapp real well.

Dalton you are right about the chalcedony and thanks again for the link to that web site.

I like the gem hunters statement about chalcedony.

"It would be a easier to simply call all cryptocrystalline varieties of silica “chalcedony” and add a color modifier – such as ‘red chalcedony’ for ‘jasper’, ‘green chalcedony’ for ‘chrysoprase’, etc."

So I am very happy with what I ended up with. :laugh:

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 10:39:25 pm »
Beautiful point!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei