Author Topic: rabbit sticks  (Read 11668 times)

shootinbud

rabbit sticks
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:16:19 pm »
hey kowechobe i have just read your article on the mystery rabbit sticks (what the ...... are they)i think they're neat could i get some rough dimensions on those ,thanks -sb

Offline Strongbow88

Re: rabbit sticks
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 09:46:06 pm »
I just got a book last knight called wilderness survival. three guys live in the wood for 46 day and they use rabbit stick for there hunting.and it states as a general rule it should measure from your armpit to your rist and about two inches it diameter.
Danny Johnson

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 09:46:57 pm »
I have some:

Stick. Arm long. Throws good. Hits stuff hard ;D

Kowechobe could probabaly tell you more about em. That's what I got so far though :).

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 11:01:21 pm »
.....Shootin bud....Depends on how big yer hands are and what ya can find ta make them outta. I got big hands so mine are about 2" in diameter like strongbow said and 2' feet long is good.What ya can find and the weight of them and the fork on the top 2-er 3. I have found they throw better if they are curved toward the front and I like heavy ones. Remember I am a Caveman !  ;D Heres a coupla more made outta carrotwood  made with stone flakes. Throw sidearm and snap yer wrist like throwin' a baseball. Ya snap yer wrist so they spin ya want em' ta spin. They is deadly ,hope ya never get hit by one ! >:D There are a few other "tricks" feel free ta ask try em ya will like em ! ;)..........bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

shootinbud

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 10:58:33 pm »
thanks guys love this kinda stuff thanks again for the info-SB

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 10:29:19 pm »
Now I get it - you actually throw the stick :D, now that's primitive. Hey bob, I'm seeing those smiley faces on your computer screen back there, heh heh....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

shootinbud

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 07:45:39 pm »
finally made some i haven't made any meat yet but they throw great

wvfknapper

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 08:23:58 pm »
I use to carry one in my quiver,, never hit anything with it tho but in a survival situation they would be handy for birds and small rodents........The one I carried was just a seasoned piece of hickory about 2 ft long kinda oblong () shaped, the diameter of a broom  handle and chiseled on the other end for digging.....They throw pretty good at close range and hickory packs a wallop.

wvflintknapper

shootinbud

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 09:06:31 pm »
made mine from white Ash heavy hard and throws great

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 09:16:45 pm »

Poor wittle bunny wabbits!  You can also make one out of a tapering stick, and put large nuts from the hardware store on it.
just taper the stick, sorta like a baseball bat, and slide the large metal nuts on it till it gets to the thicker end, and just start threading them on, and when you can thread them on any further, just cut off the rest of the thick end, and you have a real Thumper thumper!  You can also just use the stick without the steel nuts on it, and like they said put a bit of a curve in it.  The Indians used one like that.  Can't remember where I read that, at the moment.  anyway, should really clobber anything it hits.  I wouldn't want to get hit with any of the others either!

Stick Bender

bushytail

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 01:15:29 pm »
The vidio Full Circle talks about it. He also shows how to use it,and he got a rabbet with it. I made one out of a piece of osage about 20 inches long,shaped like a baseball bat.I also put a leather laceing around the handle for decoration. I used it two times to finish of two squirrels i shoot with my bow last year.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 09:24:10 am »
  actually a stick about a foot long is even pretty good, but 1.5-2 feet is probably a bit more accurate. a lawn game called kuub uses foot long rabbit sticks and would be great practice-except that the rules have you throwing underhand with the spin being vertical as opposed to helicoptering. the kuub sticks hit awfully hard too. SOM

Offline 65x55 swedis

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 04:00:24 am »
the stick need to be comfortable in your hand and feels right to you. if you want a challange make a sling. not hard to make but hard to be accurate with

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2008, 03:52:39 pm »
Rabbit sticks work for much more than just rabbits,My Grandpa taught me with a 2 foot piece of a tobacco stick (Oak) had a slight curve in it).Saw him nail a bobwhite out of a covey rise and hit a dove that came whizzing by at close range. He had the habit of carrying that stick anytime we took a walk.It was good for whacking dogs that come running up and got too close too.I used to walk with my boys down along the Yakima river in Wa. state.Whacked a few roosters with it and taught them how effective a stick could be. I have never actually killed a rabbit with one,scared a few !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington