Author Topic: Test your Point Knowledge - a challenge to you  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Diligence

Test your Point Knowledge - a challenge to you
« on: November 10, 2013, 02:55:43 pm »
I've not been around PA much this past while, but always lurk.

I had the pleasure of handling some excellent points this summer.  I would say some of them are "museum quality".  They were collected by a friend of mine over a 15 year period.  He and his friends would go camping, with the goal of only searching out points.  These are the ones that he kept out of the bucketfuls (yes buckets) of points that were gathered.

I thought it might be fun to see if any of you can guess where these points are from?.....what their age might be? ...and even their use as there are some neat ones.

I couldn't manage to upload the files, so here is a link to a photoshare site.

—-photo hosting site is no longer up—— see below posts for pics.

I believe there is one point that is very, very early.    Anyway, you are the experts so let me know what your theories are.

Cheers,
D
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:07:15 pm by Diligence »
"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Test your Point Knowledge - a challenge to you
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 08:25:11 pm »
Looks like Texas to me. But, I'm not really up on Texas points like I am with Florida points.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Diligence

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 09:51:09 pm »
well, a few views so far.

I will tell you that where these were found, there is a lot of sand, a lot - and Mullet, you are correct.  These are not from Florida.

Anybody seen the really small ones before, the funny looking ones?

"Always do your best and to everyone be kind and good" - Ernst Hjalmer Selin (1906-2000)....my grandfather's words of advice he wanted me to tell my children.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:04:22 pm »
I'll take another stab at it; San Padre Islands, Karankawas and Coahuiltecan Indians? Or, Chama Valley New Mexico, White Sands?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 10:25:13 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Tower

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:31:24 pm »
I don't have adobe. I can't see the pic. 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:45:00 pm »
Some of those looked like material from Texas and I noted at least one Andice or Calf Creek #8).  Also, #18 could be a Paleo or Archaic point made from Hixton Silified Sandstone (orthoquartzite regardless) and may have traveled down from Wisconsin, but what the heck do I know? Orthoquartzite (silified sandstone) comes from several places - some just call it quartzite. The two gray ones before that may be another type of quartzite.

Cool stuff anyway. I was impressed by the number of broken bases which indicated they were used to try and make a kill or made one.

Offline Diligence

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:38:01 pm »
I'll toss another hint at you.  These were not found in North America.....

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 12:56:29 am »

Australia?

Wayne

Offline RickB

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 08:07:54 am »
I have some Neolithic stone points that I bought a few years ago that look very similar to some of those. Do they come from the African Continent? Rick B
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 08:17:39 am by RickB »

Offline JonW

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 08:20:11 am »
I'm going with Israel or Egypt.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 09:15:22 am »
Most appear to be arrow points (as opposed to spear or dart points) which indicates that they are not older than the invention of the bow.  The exception would be the large, leaf-shaped blade.  That one looks the oldest to me.  The dark colored "scraper" looking one has a very common shape, so it's hard to tell the age, but that one may also be very old.  The barbed and tanged arrowheads tell me that those might be from the European Neolithic Age.  The color of the flint would seem to indicate southern or eastern Europe rather than Northern, but that's a guess.  The two arrowheads that have constricted "middles" are probably a giveaway as to the exact country but I have not seen those before.  And the fact that there might still be beaches in Europe with buckets of arrowheads still being found on the surface has me stumped.  By the condition of the barbs, I'd say that many of these were damaged from digging or damaged by plows.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:22:01 am by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Diligence

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 05:01:09 pm »
Patrick - good descriptions.  My thoughts on age also.

I think the dark shaped rounded biface one, is the oldest. Or the big spear point, but I'm just looking at what I could find online.

Everybody is thinking beaches.....but think dunes instead.  These were all found in the dunes.  I'll post the exact location when my friend sends me the geographic region, but these are from Saudi Arabia.

D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 06:01:29 pm »
I'll be heading for the Negev Desert in Israel the first of December. Looking for flint and artifacts was at the top of my list.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 06:29:38 pm »
Cool.  Always good to see arrowheads from exotic places.  :)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Diligence

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 06:37:06 pm »
The correct geographic region is the Rub' Al Khali desert, near the town of Najran

Here are the coordinates for you google earth folks

Latitude 17°29'30.23"N
Longitude  44° 7'56.24"E

He used to go "camping" with other ex-pats and they would look for the glint of the flint.  Said some of the guys had stellar collections.

Travis (Barrage) and I handled these points, and I have to tell you, I got goosebumps.  They were so much nicer than the photos show.

Jaye