Author Topic: A go to issue  (Read 4387 times)

links0311

A go to issue
« on: December 11, 2007, 11:02:51 am »
Does anyone have a go to issue of PA that they always refer to when building bows? I am looking to buy some back issues and was wondering if you thought one month's edition would be the best for a new bow maker. Thanks.

-Links

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: A go to issue
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 11:27:03 am »
I cant give you a single issue. There are to many great ones.  If you were asking about a Turkish horn bow it could be issue 1 volume 2. A penobscot it would be issue 3 volume 4.  It would be a different issue than for different bows and some issues have information for a specific type of wood or short bows.  One of my favorite issues will alway be issue 13 volume 1, with Marc StLouis' article on making a high performance self bow where he teaches about his heat treating meathods.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

links0311

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 12:56:38 pm »
thanks for the response. Right now I am intereted in backed bows. I am being helped through a bamboo backed osage right now, and I think those are the types of bow I am interested in. Kinda like the delta bow or ol' buck look.

-Links

Offline DanaM

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 08:42:46 pm »
links buy em all before thier gone ;D, I have I'm missing 2 issues and I'm ticked I can't get them.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

links0311

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 09:40:19 pm »
I would consider buying a volume if that makes the decision easier. which volume or volumes did you like best? I can't buy them all, that's a lot of money during the holidays.

-Links

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 09:46:18 pm »
 ....................Hey Dana thought ya might like ta know "I gots them ALL !" ;D ;D ;D ;D..............bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 11:11:14 pm »
Issue 4-1 has a great article on making hickory backings. Issue 7-3 has an article on selecting a board and making a self bow from begining to end from the board. 9-1 has a great article on about 15 different types of backings and which densities of wood they are best on.  Also search the PA website. If you post pictures on the website everyone will be willing to help you.  Justin

Hey Bob, your making me feel bad.  I dont have volume 2, its sold out.  :'( Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 05:50:08 am »
Hay Dana me to. ;D ;D It is hard to say witch is the best they all have different and good how to articles in them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline DanaM

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 10:52:52 am »
I would start with the earliest issues as they won't reprint them. I bought a a couple volumes at a time.
If you buy them by the volume the shipping is free.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

links0311

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 11:58:04 am »
I went through the back issues section and clicked on each cover, reading what would be inside. I limited myself to five issues and these are the one I choose:

1-1, 1-3, 5-1, 7-4, and 9-1.

I look forward to some good winter reading.

-Links

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2007, 12:15:08 am »
On the book shelf right next to my lounge chair is every issue of PA that has been published. They are all my favorite! 8)  Every time I pick up one of the old issues, I learn something.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC