Author Topic: red oak & sap wood question  (Read 2783 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
red oak & sap wood question
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:36:07 pm »
Hi everyone..this has probably been covered many times before....but never having used or even seen red oak before, I didnt take much notice.. Not an indigiinous UK tree....didnt know it grew here..
I just managed to get a log of red oak from some local forestry work...slipped in at night and found tons of the stuff already cut and stacked to about the length of my long car...handy. Anyway, took one lovely dead straight,  7'x15" log ...got home and it split near perfect into 8 staves 4 of which are near perfect
My question to red oak bowyers is ...do I use the white sapwood or not?  and..it feels like it is similar to our ash wood...is it better or worse than ash as a bow wood?

thanks..
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline BowSlayer

Re: red oak & sap wood question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 06:42:39 pm »
we have red Oak :o where abouts are you? i wan't some!  :laugh:  as far as ive seen all the board bows seem to be heart wood 
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 07:03:12 pm »
I am in Wales....the forestry people started planting it in uk some 30-40 yrs ago apparently...I have only just noticed it when they started cutting down some woods round here...had to get my tree book out......there are probably other plantations in the UK though
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline BowSlayer

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 07:24:31 pm »
Ill have to look around. Nice haul by the way.  How about some pictures.  :laugh:
London, England.

45#@28"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 07:40:15 pm »
I would bet the sapwood works completely fine. It seems almost every red oak bow I've ever seen was made from a board it would be nice to see one from a stave
I like osage

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 07:42:59 pm »
The wood under the bark is what you want to use.  ;)  Nice score!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 08:27:09 pm »
Yes, take off the bark and ther is the back. Easy does it. Get close with drawknife and then use a scraper. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 08:29:41 pm »
Sap or heart wood either is fine , just easier to peel the bark off and start there !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 08:46:38 am »
I've got two dry staves of red oak, locally grown here in the Netherlands. I've removed the sapwood from one, just because the heartwood seems a bit denser. Not sure if that is the case, but I like the color of the heartwood over the sapwood. I have yet to start a bow from this wood, though. A friend of mine made a nice flatbow from the other half of the log. I rate red oak higher than European oak. But European ash might be a bit better still. But not necessarily, as European ash is very variable.

I remember Tim Baker stating something like: "if the boards weren't so darn cheap, every bowyer would be thrilled with a red oak stave."
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286