Author Topic: Free Bow Wood....Come and get it!  (Read 6776 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Free Bow Wood....Come and get it!
« on: December 11, 2007, 10:58:09 pm »
Free bow wood of various species.  Oak, elm, mullberry, mimosa, catalpa.  Truck load sized lots only.    :o  Hurry, at these prices and quantities, it wont last long!!!  Please come get some;D

These are pictures from this weekend's ice storm here in Oklahoma. Over 500,000 without power.  I'm one of the lucky ones and have only been without power for a few hours.  God bless CREC.  These pictures were taken of the trees in my dogs' back yard that crushed our chain-link fence and of my folks yard across the road from me.  As you can see, the ice is almost an inch think and more is in the forecast, however the temperatures are now above freezing so it's actually helping thaw the ice.  Unfortunately a limb fell on their secondary line and it will be a while before the get service again. 

Although most will be cut up and hauled off, I may see about trying to save a few of the biggest limbs and trunks.  A silver lining to every cloud.    8)

[attachment deleted by admin]
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline david w.

Re: Free Bow Wood....Come and get it!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 11:02:41 pm »
O my gosh thats terrible i hope everything wil be ok. At least yo get bow wood :)
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline PeteC

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 11:08:08 pm »
I watched y'alls storm on the weather channel,(that's why I live south of the Red river).Speedy recovery to you all,and God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 11:16:26 pm »
Dang that is rough.  Im glad you weren't hurt. Make sure you keep the folks warm.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline lowell

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 11:32:38 pm »
We got some of the leftovers from that storm, but not as heavy as you got.  My pine trees are still dropping limbs like the were shedding!!  >:(

Almost 2 weeks ago we were without power for 44 hours. That will get your attention when they predict an ice storm again!!

Best of luck to you!!
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline tom sawyer

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 11:40:19 pm »
We got some of that up this way and are getting more right now.  My colleague had some black locust fall over on his place yesterday, he knows I make bows and asked me if I wanted some.  I'll be cutting this weekend.

Good luck cleaning up.  Last year we had bad ice, and theres' still stuff laying around from that one.  They said we have a higher risk of forest fires for the next few yeasrs because of all the dry wood laying in the woods around here.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 12:50:37 am »
Thanks all. My folks are pretty hardy.  They've got propane heat, cooking and kerosene lamps. I keep a close eye on them just in case and tried to get them to come sleep in our house .  Tomorrow I'm having an electrician friend of mine make me a distro box and cut-off for my welder/generator so I can keep their necessities running until he can fix their secondary. 

I spent most of the day Monday cutting limbs off their elm trying to keep it off their line but the limbs just kept coming down in layers.  After it got dark is when the top finally came down and they lost power. 

This storm has been one for the record books.  They are now reporting over 600,000 without power. Our Co-op is truly the best.  We've had limited loss both in the big storm last January and this one.   

My kids lost the internet and satelite TV and ran for the hills (OKC).   ::) .   

So much for hunting this weekend. I'll be keeping the Husquavarna humm'n.

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007, 05:45:58 am »
Good luck and glad yall are alright.We had one like that in Tn. a few years back and was out of Elect. for 2 weeks.I just broke out the camping gear and it wasn't to bad for us but it was
rough for a lot of the town folks.Good luck. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007, 08:31:24 am »
Wow! Not anywhere near as bad here in mid MO. But there is some trees down from ice build up in the area.The girls dont have school again today,so they maybe in for a surprise if the gravel roads clear up and we can go looking for bow wood.Keep warm and safe. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007, 03:59:17 pm »
Hope things go allright in the recovery there Otoe. We got a little bit here in Wichita but nothing like what y'all got. I had my chainsaw, plenty of batteries for my headlamps and plenty of water stored up just in case. I was thinking that if it hit I would be out scrounging for bow wood and making a little dough running the saw, but it basically missed us. Lots of cold,cold rain though. Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Ryan_Gill_HuntPrimitive

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 04:30:24 pm »
nice to hear you were alright.
Mimosa? is that any good for bows? i have lots of it and it grows so fast i just cannot imagine it would make a nice bow.
Formerly "twistedlimbs"
Gill's Primitive Archery and HuntPrimitive

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 06:37:36 pm »
   Whew,I'll stick with the Hurricanes,same thing,no power,air conditioning,And we stock up on batteries,propane,generators and chain saws.But the weathers nicer when it's over.You guy's are freezing this Christmas and we are watching a Tropical Storm,maybe Al was on to something? ::) ;)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 08:48:57 pm »
I'll take the snow up here over that crap, hope all is well and I feel for the folks without power which in many cases means no water,
which means hardship. Prayers be with ya all.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2007, 10:15:34 am »
Mimosa is probably a poor bow wood.  I was just kidding and hoping some aspiring bowyer would come get a truck load.   ;D

We get the snow too, in fact we're forcasted to get between 3-6" starting Friday.  I'll take that any day.  Unfortunately an inch of ice equals an inch of rain, so things can back up pretty quick and it takes forever to melt.  Snow on the other hand is so airy that it usually melts around here within 24 hours. 

I have no doubt Al is right that the earth is warming.  Otherwise we'd all be discussing our latest hunting trips into the glacial fields of Nebraska for woolly mammoths.  Of course back then it wasn't SUV's but all those camp fires causing it.   ??? 

I'll keep you all posted.  Things are going well and we're getting back to normal.  Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Otoe

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2007, 10:27:20 am »
We missed out on all that ice in North TX but was plenty of cold rain - here in San Antonio it was a chilly 45 or so yesterday though ;D.

When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.