Author Topic: bending oak ??  (Read 9799 times)

Offline swamp monkey

bending oak ??
« on: November 18, 2013, 11:04:09 am »
If ya'll wanted to bend oak would you use dry heat, oil and heat, boiling or steaming?   If you choose the last two for how long?

I have used dry heat on hickory and Osage with great results. Oil too, but now prefer the dry heat.  I have steam bent hickory with good resultstoo.  I tried to heat bend oak with dry heat and steam. None provided me with stellar results.   In fact I did some test pieces on the steaming and I obviously did not have them warm enough because the wood didn't budge. 

Your advise is welcome.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: bending oak ??
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:50:04 am »
Is this a board? Boards can be a real pain. When we bend stave bows we are generally bending with the grain either forward or backward. Trying to bend 1/4 sawn lumber can be a pain because your, in essence, performing a lateral bend against the natural growth of the wood. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 11:50:17 am »
I recurved an oak a few months ago and used steam.   Once its on the form I put the heat gun on it for a few minutes before bending.  As I recall there was a little surface cracking on the belly which I sanded off later and it came out fine.  I steamed it for a good 45 minutes.

The other day I was heavily reflexing the upper limbs on an oak that had taken a lot of set there.  I used dry heat for only about 20-30 minutes since this was a finished bow and the limbs fairly thin at that spot.  Both limbs cracked beyond repair.  I assumed it was because I didn't use heat long enough but it might be because the belly had taken a set and I was bending it backward too far.

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 12:21:14 pm »
pearl.

Yep,  quarter sawn stave.  However, I cut a V notch in it to replicate something the Eskimos did to get retrograde tips.  So the part i wanted to bend was s small section with a v notch that reduced the bending portion down to 1/4" or more. 

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 12:24:05 pm »
I've bent oak pretty successfully with steam. I don't think it has the oils like woods who like dry heat or oil and heat. If I had To use heat I'd use crisco shortening rubbed on.

I'd use steam. Specially with that u described.

I'd also press pearly a little for his take
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:25:09 pm »
Ahhh, Hupa like tips. Id try that bend on a scrap chunk. Cut the relief out and try it. Those are tips that get wrapped tight with sinew right?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline VicNova

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 12:26:12 pm »
Definitely use steam or boil it. I boil 1/2" thick red oak limbs for an hour and then bend them over a form no-problem
Ypsilanti,  Michigan

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 02:56:39 pm »
Pearl,

Same concept as the Hupa tips, but move four to six inches down the limb.  The attached image shows the progression from left to right.  The cable lashing holds the stiffening wedge in place.

This is a cable back bow.

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 03:15:15 pm »
use steam swamp monkey, and do a practice run on a scrap pc, I haven't had any luck bending oak with dry heat at all
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 03:38:51 pm »
That notch being cut changes the game totally. He will have a miniscule amount of wood to bend safely. Id try a practice run with heat and steam. I think the heat gun will be fine for this job.

I guess Im just a dry heat fanatic and use it for every thing but statics. Ive moved some bow tips laterally a long ways with dry heat.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, 05:12:35 pm »
he didn't say if it was white or red oak, big difference between the two, all I know is what experience I've had and I've had zero luck with red oak and dry heat on tips but i'll defer to pearlie on this as he has more experience with dry heat

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2013, 05:15:35 pm »
Actually bub you stinkin'.....awwww nevermind.. ;)

He will only have a snippit of wood left after he cuts the wedge out. It will take minimal and gentle heat to bend it and not break anything. Im thinking steam is too harsh and uncontrollable....but, I have never did what he is doing. Im speculating.

Offline bubby

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 05:21:59 pm »
that's a good reason to do a test run, I think if its white oak dry heat will work great, it bends like rubber

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2013, 05:26:43 pm »
Test run would be essential, and a breeze.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2013, 06:07:56 pm »
Ive only lightly reflexed redoak with dry heat but i did see the Woodwright guy bend a red oak board 180* with steam and it was 3/4" thick x 6" x 16"...so im sure its possable  ;)... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....