Author Topic: What your warbows... (can't do?)  (Read 4460 times)

Offline Goose Fletch

What your warbows... (can't do?)
« on: November 19, 2013, 11:08:24 am »
So. I saw this video of a bodkin failing to pierce a padded gambeson. The video is entertaining and i recommend the full documentary. (Especially if you like the high energy Mike Loades as much as i do xD)

But what about using a type 16 broadhead? Or a similar broadhead with swept out blades and a narrow point profile? Or the long bodkin. The ewbs is assisting Mike, if some of their members are browsing, they can offer some insight. Were further tests done? Does anyone have a gambeson they don't need?  :D

I was amazed when i saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CULmGfvYlso&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And to give a sense of what can be achieved, here is a similar test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn1VmbtEum8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers

Offline WillS

Re: What your warbows... (can't do?)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 11:41:40 am »
Eeek, best not to ask the EWBS what they think of Mike Loades...  I don't think any of them want anything to do with him anymore...

I wouldn't take Mike's stuff too seriously - he's great at showy stuff and getting excited, but tends to use equipment from different periods in order to prove a point that backs up his own theories. 

On point, you can make up your own gambeson and try tests yourself, it's dead easy.  Linen outer layer, numerous layers of cotton or wool batting and then another linen backing layer, all sewn/stapled together.  See what happens!

Offline brian

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 11:58:54 am »
It,s good to hear that i am not the only one who irritates the EWBS

Offline campx

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 12:06:31 pm »
Not sure, had to play the 1st video a couple times, but I'm sure I saw a layer of chainmail or something similar between the layer of leather and the other layers of cloth.........

Offline WillS

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 12:13:32 pm »
It,s good to hear that i am not the only one who irritates the EWBS

Well, it's a very small society based on "active archaeology" as it were - trying as hard as possible to recreate (as closely as possible) warbows from the right period.  If "documentaries" are made that contain false information or exaggerated truths, it's clear to see why society members get annoyed/upset.  There are very few sources of accurate, unbiased information about medieval warbows out there, so if popular shows come out with a load of rubbish it certainly does damage all the work the society does to keep things accurate. 

Still, it's never wise to take oneself too seriously, eh?  ;)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 12:39:38 pm »
Why didn't they try a couple different bodkins? Like instead of a stubby bodkin, why not a long sharp needle bodkin. A needle bodkin might not work for metal, but I would wonder if it could puncture the linen.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 12:48:43 pm »
It's not all about penetration :o :-* >:D
A ruptured spleen and 2 broken ribs will slow you down a tad.
Del
(Most things with 'society'  or 'guild' in the title irritate me  ;D... come to think of it...
'most things irritate me' pretty much covers it  ;) )
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 02:10:17 pm »
Cats are usually looking down at someone with disdain.  ;)

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 02:19:18 pm »
Why didn't they try a couple different bodkins? Like instead of a stubby bodkin, why not a long sharp needle bodkin. A needle bodkin might not work for metal, but I would wonder if it could puncture the linen.

Because it was mike Loades.  That's the point...

Offline Goose Fletch

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 03:09:13 pm »

Because it was mike Loades.  That's the point...

ah, i sort of see what you mean though, this is just a clip from a documentary that was meant to shed some light on william wallace from the film braveheart. so your understanding is that he may have just used that scene with a stubby bodkin to demonstrate that scottish militia at the time were armed and had a fighting chance. and we think a needle bodkin would do the job...especially since we saw was that well known bowman taking the shot using what looks like a pretty hefty bow

id love to make my own gambeson. thanks, Will, for the explanation.