Author Topic: Del's 130# Yew Warbow  (Read 11418 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Del's 130# Yew Warbow
« on: November 21, 2013, 09:58:12 am »
This is made from High altitude Chinese Yew... Well no, It's English really, but...
I had to climb 10 foot onto a roof to saw it and it was growing at the back of a Chinese Resteraunt ::).
Stats 80" ntn. a tad over 130# at 32" weight 2 lb 9.5 oz
I don't do the mass principle thing myself, but if anyone wants to draw conclusions from the weight I'd be interested to hear them.
White Waterbuffalo horn nocks, double gooved to allow a stringer.
There were a few really weird dips in the bow (see one of the pics) and I had to reduce the sapwood in some areas, mainly the outer 1/3 of the limbs to keep a decent amount of heartwood. I still tried to follow a ring where possible or leave the violations running along the bow.
Full build along and pics on my blog, also vid of it actually flexing on the tiller.
The force draw curve is very linear and pretty consistently 5# per inch (see blog)
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/warbow-130-at-32.html
It's still not been actually shot yet... Heffalump is the intended recipient/test pilot and he needs to man up >:D
The stave had a little deflex originally and has taken a little set. Mind I was worried about coming in under weight so it's actually been as heavy as 145# at 31" during the build.
Enjoy ;D
Del
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 10:52:56 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline adb

Re: Del's 130# Yew Warbow
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 10:19:38 am »
Very very nice, Senor Cat! Doesn't look like super tight yew... just goes ta show yah... yah don't need 100 rpi to make a heavy warbow. Your tiller is perfect, and the horn nocks are drop dead sexy. I look forward to a full draw pic... but like you, I would be unable to get it back myself. If Heffalump decides he doesn't want it, you could throw it on a boat and send it across the pond to the colonies!

Offline adb

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 10:23:24 am »
Looking at the tiller again... I'm guessing the left limb is the bottom? Cuz it's quite a bit stiffer than the right.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 10:35:26 am »
Looking at the tiller again... I'm guessing the left limb is the bottom? Cuz it's quite a bit stiffer than the right.
Yup, I always do lower limb to the left.
that one has that weird dip in it it too. It took a lot of work to get that dip working, it was way stiff , I had to ease down the sap wood on the high side and go quite thin on the heart wood on t'other, it was a real 'slow and steady job'.
here's a pic at the grip showing the rpi and my bowyers mark.
Del

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 11:45:38 am »
Another beauty Del!  Can't wait to see full draw on this one!
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:28:23 pm »
real beauty Del.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:52:41 pm »
That's right.. rub it in  :( >:D

Stunning as always Del - true craftsmanship.  To get a stave like that to give you 130# is no mean feat.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 01:09:13 pm »
Very nice, beauty of a bow, as always. Looks like you might of been able to get a couple staves out of that tree.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 01:30:28 pm »
Very nice, beauty of a bow, as always. Looks like you might of been able to get a couple staves out of that tree.
Yeah, there are more staves there, but it's in a conservation area so they won't let me cut them >:(. I was allowed to cut just that one because it had chainsaw damage at it's base.
Of course when I was up on that roof with my saw, a little voice was urging me to cut another too >:D... but I was a good kitty.
Del
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 02:34:23 pm by Del the cat »

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:26:13 pm »
Yeah, there are more staves there, but it's in a conservation area so they won't let me cut them >:(. I was allowed to cut just that one because it had chainsaw damage at it's base.
Of course when I was up on that roof with my saw, a little voice was urging me to cut another too >:D... but I was a good kitty.
Del

Well thats a shame. If I was in your shoes, it would of been hard to only cut one! It seems you got a good piece though at least, it made a hell of a bow.

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 04:15:17 pm »
Nice looking bow Sir. You should name it "Chinese take away". ;)
Pity that the conservation zone won't let you trim another stave out of that tree, probably do the tree more good than harm given how close it is to a building and all...

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 10:17:11 pm »
Do you put a mark on the bow for the archer to know where to nock the arrow, or just leave it bare?

Offline AH

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 11:33:23 pm »
holy...
wow. just Beautiful.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 04:17:41 am »
Do you put a mark on the bow for the archer to know where to nock the arrow, or just leave it bare?
The mark is to show where the arrow pass is.
I'd rather put a small discrete arrow plate as those fat Ash arrow shafts with bound on fletchings can rasp away at the wood.
Prob' not an issue in warfare when a bow may not last more than one campain or maybe even one battlw. But with difficult to find Yew it makes sense in a mdern context.
I think the EWBS doesn't "allow" arrow plates in their definition of a warbow....
Another reason I'm not over keen on societies... I can make what the heck I like! But this is for an EWBS member...

Interesting that AFAIK the Mary Rose bows showed no sign of wear at the arrow pass...
Any comments, theories, observations gratefully received.
Del
(All just my opinion of course...)

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 06:07:45 am »
As far as I'm aware, the current accepted theory regarding the lack of wear is that the bows were new, recently issued as government weapons, supplied in the crates and had yet to have been shot.  That theory works in tandem with the number of bows (over half!) with reflex in them.  Steve Stratton I think believes that the reflex is just a result of the re-drying process, as the sapwood has a different drying speed to the heartwood and pulled the bows towards the back, but I'm not sure how widely accepted that is.  Either way, almost none of the bows showed any sign of string follow or set, and that plus the complete lack of any wear does suggest a brand new bow.

Interestingly enough, if the arrows are made well enough they don't do an awful lot of damage at the pass of the bow.  A lot of people for some reason bind their fletchings with thick linen (I think Richard Head's videos are to blame for this!) which of course once varnished/glued etc is a might lump which can gouge out the soft yew, but no records of linen whippings have been found, it was always silk.  If the fletchings themselves are cut properly, and the ends facing the arrowhead are burned with a hot tool and pressed hard into the arrow shaft, then whipped with thin, strong silk you get an almost perfect transition between shaft and fletching, and shouldn't gouge too much out of the bow at all.