Author Topic: What are some of the coolest things you have learned on here?  (Read 14407 times)

Offline Postman

Re: What are some of the coolest things you have learned on here?
« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 09:06:25 pm »
Gotta be the tillering gizmo. Has been a big help.

That said, i echo the sentiments of how hassle free, helpful, and friendly this site is. Hands down better than  most of the other places I've been.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2013, 10:28:27 am »
Build-alongs are best done after the bow is completed
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2013, 11:33:43 am »
Learned a lot over the years,some I use some I don't but at least It has given me options, but the main reason I can't stay away is like has been said a bunch on this thread,it's the people. Many I have meet over the years and almost all was just what I expected and it was like I had known them all my life.Great bunch for sure.  :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2013, 12:22:39 pm »
My first bow was the dry wall tape red oak job.  I then continued breaking about 8-10.  My father-in-law asked me in the garage after seeing so many failures, "Why do you want to keep doing this?"  My mother was digging weeds in the front yard and responded before me, "Because he wants to build a Stradivarius."  I knew what she meant, smiled and said nothing.
The other day my brother-in-law was down for Thanksgiving and asked me, "Why this, you've done this for a long time, why this?  I don't have anything like this."   I knew what he meant...why bows.  It could really be anything.  I thought about it for a minute and finally said, "I do it for selfish reasons."

What I've learned on here?  The importance of persistance with a craft.  I doubt I'd have persevered this long without the community.  Also, that the objects I enjoy the most and bring a bit of beauty into the world aren't bought at a store.  Bottom line?  American culture isn't completely dead.  Gotta thank those that "pass it on" for that!
1’—>1’