Author Topic: EWBS Quarter Pounders  (Read 11895 times)

Offline WillS

EWBS Quarter Pounders
« on: December 02, 2013, 04:13:50 pm »
Just finished putting the heads on these quarter pounder arrows, thought I'd stick a piccy or two up for anybody interested.  Nice chunky handforged plate cutters by Milos again as well.

Half inch ash shafts that I split from a stave too short to be a decent bow, and ran them through a dowel cutter.  The last third is tapered down to 3/8". 

Goose feather fletchings, 7.5" long, whipped with black silk.

40 gram hand-forged plate cutters, which bring the overall arrow weight to 115g, or 1774 grains.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 05:25:04 pm by WillS »

Offline toomanyknots

Re: EWBS Quarter Pounders
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 04:44:27 pm »
Sexy.  :) I like the noticeably thin thread, probably will be easy on the hand when shooting, and easy on the bow too. Did you seal the thread with anything? It always breaks on me if I don't. I use a transparent glue whenever I find some in a store, although I was thinking of trying out some tru oil, or any similar finish i could paint over the thread with a small paint brush.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 05:09:40 pm »
Nice... don't want to get in the way of one of those bad boys ;D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 05:14:57 pm »
I tend to seal the shaft before fletching with danish oil, then fletch and wrap, then go over the thread with pva glue followed by more danish oil to stop the pva going white when it gets wet.  Not a good look!

I wanna try making up some verdigris compound at some point, that would be interesting!

Offline AndiE

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2013, 05:43:08 pm »
Hi

Great stuff!!!

Kind regards
Andi

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 06:13:41 pm »
I tend to seal the shaft before fletching with danish oil, then fletch and wrap, then go over the thread with pva glue followed by more danish oil to stop the pva going white when it gets wet.  Not a good look!

I wanna try making up some verdigris compound at some point, that would be interesting!

Never thought to go over the glue with a finish (duh), and I always hated the white crap when it rains, thanks!

Offline WillS

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2013, 06:18:16 pm »
 ;D ;D

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 08:13:15 pm »
What glue do you use for gluing on the heads?

Offline WillS

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 08:29:23 pm »
Whatever I have lying around! Superglue or 2 part epoxy normally.  I always rough out the cone first with knife and rasp, then heat the head over a flame until it's hot enough but not too hot and push it onto the cone.  That burns/compresses the wood into the perfect shape for each head.  I let it cool so that it contracts onto the cone then yank it off, smear a thin layer of glue over the cone and wedge it back on again.

If the heads are expensive or I haven't got many of them I'll rivet them on as well just for extra security.  Often I'll have drilled down through the arrowshaft maybe 5" and fit a small steel rod both to make the weight for heavy arrows and to reinforce the shaft where it usually breaks off.  Then I shape it and fit the head.  Fairly indestructible which is good for flight arrows as the smallest stone can cause havoc...!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 08:38:56 pm »
Very nice....And I know how difficult and time consuming it is to make those thread wraps nice and even.  Good job.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 10:08:04 pm »
Fine examples of what a 1/4er pounder should look like!

Offline WillS

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 10:35:54 pm »
Cheers guys!  Appreciate the generous comments!

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 11:15:21 pm »
Cheers guys!  Appreciate the generous comments!

Thank you for the detailed replies, and they do look very nice! My heads always come off on me after a bit, though I am pretty rough with them. I use super glue too. I was thinking of trying some bonding epoxy, like the kind for metal, and seeing if that would work better. Most of mine that come off are target points that hit something hard (like concrete, haha). On another note, that's one reason I like poplar, is because it can take the abuse I give it. I just can't find any straight grain poplar for crap. I can find super cheap perfect straight grain douglas fir for days at my local menards (hardware store), but it is no where as tough as poplar I find. I beat the crap out of my poplar arrows. I can't find straight grain poplar anywhere though. I did recently find some semi-decent grain ash though. I've been playing around with maple shafts too, they come off my little pencil sharpener-type shaft cutter I made nice and clean with zero tear out, and the stuff I got right now is heavy and real stiff for the diameter.

Offline AndiE

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 04:25:09 am »
Hi

Try to get larch shafts. These are the best in my opinion.

Kind regrads
Andi

Offline WillS

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 07:47:45 am »
Larch makes excellent shafts.

If you're interested in keeping it traditional, the most common arrow shafts found on the MR were Aspen (or Poplar, pretty much identical) followed by Birch, and Alder.  I love Birch shafts, they're chunky and heavy and very easy to work.  I remember doing 12 EWBS Standard arrows from ash, and cutting the nocks to insert the horn strips took FOREVER.  Blitzed through a set of Birch though.