Author Topic: Muzzle loader swap (Pic added)  (Read 16333 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Muzzle loader swap (Pic added)
« on: December 05, 2013, 03:53:47 pm »
Just swapped my original Knight MK-85 with a brushed stainless barrel and green/grey lam'ed stock for a 30 yr old TC Hawken percussion gun in good shape. Im fired right up to resurrect this old gal and make her look the way I want her to. I plan to refinish the wood and get all the brass shined back up. My in-line has sat for a while and I cant see me using it soon. I still feel like Im way ahead of the game just having the ability to shoot 60-70 yards! Ive grown accustomed to bow hunting only over the years.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 09:18:40 am by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

Re: Muzzle loader swap
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 04:03:33 pm »
the inlines aren't as much fun to shoot as the traditional guns, have fun cleaning her up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 04:10:39 pm »
My first muzzle loader was the TC Pennsylvania Hunter, wish I still had that ol' girl. I like the longer barrelled guns.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline skarhand

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 04:27:31 pm »
LOL when I first read "Muzzle Loader Swap" I was thinking it was like the Bow Trade, Xmas Trade, Knife in the Hat, arrow swap, etc.

I was thinking....Sheesh...these guys trade EVERYTHING!?! LOL.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 04:34:33 pm »
 Pearl  drums   man I know what you are saying!!  I was into civil war stuff got my first gun deer w\a "Zouave" and was all black powder moved into the mountain man thing got a t\c Hawken I put a lot of meat in the larder,,,,,,then fell for the inline hype I couldn't get those power belts to group for nothing and I'll be Dammed if I'll have to push that hard to get a sabot to the bottom!!! so I sold the inline went back to my re barreled (Green MT) hawken I also was given a traditions deer stalker hawken style it's a tiny thing shoots very nice  Jw   hooked me up with a mold  and I'll be dammed I'm in love all over again!!!  (but not with jw!) but he  still ranks high in the nicest cool people race!!!   my  buddy's and all sorts of people shamed me!!  and told me of all  those one hole groups I'm missing!!!  and I would reply" B\S! I'll buy the powder and the power belts,, and I'll drive you to the range,and even through in a lunch,,, just show me your shooting!!!"  three years   and not one taker!!!  and I have been shooting alone since!!!  no one will go shooting with me???  sorry  for the long rant and good for you!! good luck!  JeffW

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 04:41:19 pm »
I hear ya' Jeff. I have to listen to BS get passed on around here (at work) all the time about in-lines. Things like, "might as well use a rifle, those new in lines shoot 300 yards"........notta one of them have even owned an in line or shot 300 yards with one. Ive been in and out of smoke poles since I was 20. Ive shot all kinds of them with and without scopes, sabots, round balls and powerbelts, loose powder, pellets and whatever else they've come up with. They are still 150 yard guns max in my eyes, same as they where 40 years ago.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 05:05:06 pm »
I have a TC Hawkin(50cal) percussion that my wife bought for me for our first Christmas together in 1978. I killed my first 2 deer with it the next fall and haven't shot it since.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 05:23:29 pm »
I got a hankerin' Pat! I haven't shot a muzzle loader deer in 7-8 years. I think more than anything, its the wood refinishing that is grabbing me.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 05:52:34 pm »
Pearl Drums, 370gr Maxi Ball 80gr FFF black powder, all I use with my old Hawkins, Got a through and through shot on a cow elk at 209yrd. (not the norm) Got my son into it with me, we have killed a few deer and elk.  :D
We are lucky for BP here starting in Jan we have a fun shoot once a month. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 05:53:51 pm »
Just swapped my original Knight MK-85 with a brushed stainless barrel and green/grey lam'ed stock for a 30 yr old TC Hawken percussion gun in good shape. Im fired right up to resurrect this old gal and make her look the way I want her to. I plan to refinish the wood and get all the brass shined back up. My in-line has sat for a while and I cant see me using it soon. I still feel like Im way ahead of the game just having the ability to shoot 60-70 yards! Ive grown accustomed to bow hunting only over the years.

I done the exact same thing years ago Pearlie. A scoped muzzleloader just didn't feel right anymore after messing with these type bows. I refinished my walnut stock as well. Rounded all edges good and finished with bear grease. I try to let all the brass tarnish up, but my son has different thoughts on the subject and catches me with my back turned. Needless to say, when I hit the woods, I not only smell right, I stand out too!  ;D

Offline RyanR

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 06:26:26 pm »
My dad has an old TC hawken  that has treated him very well. You will be happy with it. Good trade.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 07:03:38 pm »
The TC Hawken is a well built gun
With a little loven and some fine tuning she will make a powerful lot of meat !
Look good doing it too !
From time to time I wish for mine back she was a special girl with fancy walnut and white brass that looked like silver ,miss that girl !!!!!
But at the end of the day I just hope she is doing what she loves best and being used, not hanging on the wall , she is a beautiful wall decor, but I could stand to see her heart broken by sitting around being slobbered over , she needs to hunt !
I hope where ever she is she is happy , maybe one day we will meet up and talk over some good times !
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 07:28:27 pm »
I bought a MK-85 when they first came out wouldn't shoot worth a hoot, called the company and they said"yep those early ones had bad barrels on them, we changed barrel companies, we don't replace bad barrels".  Bought my wife a BK-92 about the same time, it had a green mountain barrel on it and was tack driver.

Sold my MK-85 years ago for about half what I paid for it, just traded my late wife's BK-92 for a TC New  Englander stock with a green mountain barrel on it. I gave the TC to a friend's daughter who expressed and interest in M/L hunting.

Over the years people have given me a bunch of guns when they found out their days on this earth were numbered, I plan to do the same if I get an advanced warning of my passing.

Offline DQ

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 09:35:09 pm »
Oh-Oh Pearly. You're sliding down the slippery slope now! When you wrap your hands around a long, slim, fullstock, FLINTLOCK, American longrifle you'll probably trade that ole TC off in a hurry and go for a REAL muzzle loader.  ;D Next time you're over here I'll show you what they look like.   >:D You'll never go back. LOL

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 09:55:03 pm »
In-lines aren't for me. Pearl glad you went primitive.... It's amazing the similarities Pat! my wife gave me my first ...muzzleloader for my first Christmas gift, it was a TC 54 cal Hawkins kit.  I spent the next three nights working on the sucker.  I've have probably shot over 50 deer with that rifle. 

But the last couple years it's been tough focusing on the deer, front and rear site at the same time. Pearl, hope you don't get there, its H3!! getting old.   But I got two Doe this year with it.

Good luck with the refurbish
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking