Author Topic: Muzzle loader swap (Pic added)  (Read 16469 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Muzzle loader swap
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 09:58:34 pm »
Pearl, are you going to blue or brown the CS hardware/barrel?......I browned a 45 cal flinter and loved the results.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline wildman

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 11:51:21 pm »
X2 on what DQ said,but the TC Hawkins is a great shooter had a .54 myself sold it last year. Flinter only for me.
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 12:25:10 am »
DBar, is it just the sights on the TC or is it us?  ::)  ;D   I probably could see the rear sight but not the front and definitely not the deer.  ;D
 If I remember correctly I also shot the 370 gr maxiballs with 90 gr od powder. My first deer, an 8pt buck, was shot at 90 paces, the second, a doe, was straight down(point blank?).  That was in 1979.  :o
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline chamookman

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 05:20:18 am »
Way to go Chris ! Lately, I've had the hankering for a 28 ga. (.54 cal) Trade Gun. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 08:23:54 am »
Oh-Oh Pearly. You're sliding down the slippery slope now! When you wrap your hands around a long, slim, fullstock, FLINTLOCK, American longrifle you'll probably trade that ole TC off in a hurry and go for a REAL muzzle loader.  ;D Next time you're over here I'll show you what they look like.   >:D You'll never go back. LOL

That was my goal Darryll, I couldnt find out to trade straight up for my MK 85. I want to see that stain you used to, same as those arrows.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 08:26:34 am »
I bought a MK-85 when they first came out wouldn't shoot worth a hoot, called the company and they said"yep those early ones had bad barrels on them, we changed barrel companies, we don't replace bad barrels".  Bought my wife a BK-92 about the same time, it had a green mountain barrel on it and was tack driver.

I had a nice scope on my MK-85, Art owns that scope now. Mine was a tack driver. 250 grain Hornady bullets and 90 grains of loose American Pioneer. I went 3 for 3 with it. And my son is 2 for 2.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Stoker

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 10:49:46 am »
Good trade.. I beleive there is a rule that you can't talk about a smoke pole without posting pics... >:D  JW had something to do with that... O:)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 10:59:16 am »
I love to burn black powder. I have an old St. Louis Hawken that's put an enormous pile of deer in the freezer over the years. Love shooting and hunting with my flintlock even better. You couldn't run me down and give me a scoped inline.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 11:25:18 am »
Ill snap a few pics tonite Leroy. I will dismantle it over the winter and give it a complete face lift, but for now I just want to go hunting in the snow!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 01:04:41 pm »
Ok, Pearlie, you are in for it now! It will only get worse. 

If you are lucky, they used a stain/top finish that was all in one.  If they stained and then finished, you will probably have to sand deeply into the wood and your furniture won't fit.  You may have to file down the buttplate and such to match, but oh well!  You are a meticulous craftsman and you will do just fine.

Good trade.. I beleive there is a rule that you can't talk about a smoke pole without posting pics... >:D  JW had something to do with that... O:)
Thanks Leroy

I may have been involved with that.

Oh-Oh Pearly. You're sliding down the slippery slope now! When you wrap your hands around a long, slim, fullstock, FLINTLOCK, American longrifle you'll probably trade that ole TC off in a hurry and go for a REAL muzzle loader.  ;D Next time you're over here I'll show you what they look like.   >:D You'll never go back. LOL

Fullstock flinters are the long, cool woman in the black dress of the muzzleloading world.
 "With just one look I was a bad mess
 'Cause that long cool woman had it all
 Had it all, had it all, had it all..."

If you don't like the looks of the refinished stock, go buy a big old block of maple and carve a replacement.  Easy peasy, you don't even have to worry about tiller!  ;D

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 04:21:24 pm »
There are a nunber of places that sell precarved stocks for TC guns in curly maple, some halfstock and some to convert a TC gun to full stock.

If you were to restock a TC gun it would have to be because you have an emotional attachment to the gun, after restocking you will have more money in the gun than it is worth.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 04:30:39 pm »
Pictures, I got pictures. The first gun I built and one of it's victims, 54 cal, C weight Rice barrel, Deluxe Chambers/Siler lock, built from a plank, not a kit, took me two years of learning and goofing up and learning some more to finish it.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 05:15:19 pm »
Nice looking long gun Eric,  I'll have to get out my first build that wasn't a kit and snap some pic's.  Built mine long before I knew what the internet was.
You do nice work
What did you finish the stock with, and did you use a flame to bring out the tiger strip a bit more?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 05:28:28 pm »
That's a beauty Eric. I will have a flint lock long rifle one day.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 06:01:43 pm »
That I fine looking rifle Eric! You're a true craftsman.

Here's a funny for you Pearlie. My brother and I were shooting one of my MZ's on day, mind you he doesn't own any rifles, but he loves to shoot, and he's a fine shot. So as long as you pay for the ball and powder, he'll shoot all day long and into the next week. Well, on this particular day I told him to clean the barrel between shots and gave him a bag of cleaning patches. I'd shoot and clean. Then he'd shoot and clean. I noticed when he wallowed his patch around in his mouth to wet it, he'd grimace and make a sour face. But I didn't say anything. After about a half dozen shoots he said that those patches tasted kinda funny. I said I reckon so, those were my bear greased patches, LMAO! Pay back can be a bitch sometimes, LOL!