Author Topic: at what age  (Read 3223 times)

Offline sleek

at what age
« on: December 09, 2013, 02:07:42 am »
My soon to be 8 year old son has proven himself to be responsible with a BB gun, bow, and a 22 lever action over the last 3 years. Of course all with close supervision.  Now I would like to add one more thing to the list. A pocket knife. I feel like I can trust him with one but I remember me with one at his age. Kept cutting my finger with a folder. So I am making him a small fixed skinner that he will hopecully keep forever.

Now I know with todays modern society he shouldn't even have a bb gun yet, but if we were all like modern society this site would suck. So really I am asking, what age, pending responsibility of course, is appropriate for bb guns 22 rifles, 410 shot guns, and pocket knives, and what age were yall when you first got them?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline seminolewind

Re: at what age
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 03:00:50 am »
I got my first .22 on my eighth birthday we lived in Silverton Colorado. That afternoon I remember going out and shooting a marmot with my dad. All up until this point my brother and I had gun safety drilled into our heads, because of the bb guns we had prior to this. I think as long as your kid knows gun safety principles and respects the gun she should be good to go.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 10:20:28 am by seminolewind »
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Wylden Freeborne

• This Is Primal War
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 03:21:03 am »
The way we handle such things in our family is by showing responsibility. You say the boy is responsible, I would be inclined to trust you, as his parent and one who knows him best. With direction, he will cut his finger anyway, but at least know why and how to not do it again.

Also, Seminole, Silverton is a GORGEOUS place with some of the best water I have ever tasted. It is in my top ten for places to go when it all goes down!  ;)
"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization." Emerson

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:12:17 am »
my  dad started letting me shoot 22.s when I was five with supervision of course, at 7 I got to start using a pocket knife with permission, the knife would sit on the shelf and I could use it whenever I wanted I just had to ask and put it away when I was done, and then I got a knife for my eighth birthday, I was the happiest kid in the world, until it got dull and I cut my fingers and I didn't know how to sharpen it.
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:17:07 am »
Each child is different
It is up to the parents
Sounds like you got a good child , and some good parents
Have fun

Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline seminolewind

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 10:38:49 am »
Also, Seminole, Silverton is a GORGEOUS place with some of the best water I have ever tasted. It is in my top ten for places to go when it all goes down!  ;)
[/quote]

I agree ! I got to go there this Aug for archery opening day heres a couple pics...
"Those that beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not." Thomas Jefferson

Elijah,
Tampa, FL.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 12:05:38 pm »
Each kid is different, Get him in a hunter safety course & have safe, fun.
I come from a long line of Young hunters, I killed my 1st deer at 8yrs old. my son was also 8 my girls on the other hand were 9-11-9. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Don Case

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2013, 01:12:03 pm »
I wouldn't put a lot of time into that knife. If he's anything like I was he'll lose the first half dozen or so. I can't remember when I got my first knife, probably when Dad got tired of me borrowing his. Got my .22 when I was 14, BB gun quite a bit earlier.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 01:28:51 pm »
I started shooting bows about 4yrs old gun right after got my first bloody face from a single shot 410 it was to big for me didn't have it up against my shoulder those hammers hurt. My daughter started with bows at 4yrs old then went to 22 about 6yrs old & shotgun at 8yrs old the boy is 4yrs old now & ready to tear into it. As far as a knife don't think it will matter what you get him he's going to cut his fingers I know I did.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 01:37:29 pm »
Father bought My first bow for me when I was 9. First Rifle/Shotgun when I was 12. Took so long for the firearms as Dad wanted me to be proficient with a bow first. As others have stated, It depends on the individual child. In My experience, the more responsibility a child is given at a young age, the more rounded they are as adults. A good teacher and guide(ie...Attentive Parents) is also a contributing factor to a responsible individual. Mentor well at an early age, and when You feel it is appropriate, make the decision....Modern society be damned...What is right for You and Yours is always the best barometer for these decisions.....Good Luck....Rev. Pete
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 02:46:23 pm »
smith and wesson makes a really cool knife that folds but not in your typical fashion. itll prevent alot of those usual rookie mistakes. and its hard to open so hell be less inclined to play with it. ill post a link to one if i find it.

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2013, 02:47:49 pm »
got it.

http://www.t rueswords.com/smith-wesson-black-tanto-power-glide-folding-knife-p-3429.html
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 08:31:26 am by Pappy »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 05:50:23 pm »
I don't remember at what age I started carrying a pocket knife.  I do know that I had stitches in my finger while in kindergarten from it.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Mike Joe

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 07:12:47 pm »
got my first bloody face from a single shot 410 it was to big for me didn't have it up against my shoulder those hammers hurt.

I got hit in the face with a 410 hammer when I was seven. It gave me a cut right above my eye. I never let it happen again though.
"Son, we don't really care how it looks, We want it to work." - John McPherson

Offline StickMan47

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 07:57:19 pm »
My first knife was when I was about 6. It was a lock blade pocket knife with the lock on the back. Dad got the lock blade because he was afraid I'd fold it up on my fingers and cut myself. Well It had a pretty hard lock on it and I wasn't able to close it very easy, so he wound up removing the locking mechanism. Needless to say I wound up cutting my finger anyway eventually. But I have cut myself with nearly every knife I have ever owned and I'm 40 years old!

I think the small fixed blade is a good idea especially since it will be made by you. I think that is awesome! Hopefully he will not loose it. Plus keep it sharp for him, The times I have cut myself was mostly due to a dull knife.

As for guns, I had my first bb gun at 5. Was taught gun safety from that moment on. Started shootin dads 22 around 7 or 8 and got a 410 when I turned 9. All the firearms were used only when dad was around and they were "always loaded" whether they were or not.

It sounds as though he is ready for the knife. Just show him how its supposed to be used and have some band aids ready  ;D
Makin fine firewood, one bow at a time!