Author Topic: The Iowan Path  (Read 316020 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: The Iowan Path
« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2014, 06:21:29 pm »
More pics
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2014, 06:33:09 pm »
And Paul I found that mouse trap think your sneaky don't ya lol

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2014, 12:34:35 pm »
Good work guys, whoever invented the wheel was one smart fella.  :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2014, 03:40:27 pm »
Annette and Isaac helped with clearing the brush from the dam today here are a couple pictures. Only 8 trees left out of 45 or so. It did not look like this much work when I started lol.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2014, 05:45:12 pm »
Went tam here is the photo of the planes I have been buying at yard sales and such.  So do let me forget to ask you about them on the 15th

Offline Went tam

« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2014, 11:03:06 pm »
Looks like there is some usable iron in there.  Next time I'm over I will bring some sharpening stones and we can tune one up.  Remember my warning tho, vintage hand tools are addictive,  I treasure mine more than any power tool I own.

Me

Offline iowabow

« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:13 am »
Sounds great Matt. Looking forward to the 15th. The weekend was fun and we got a lot done on the dam. The temp yesterday was 45 and the ground was wet so we couldn't move logs. Today we have a high of 4 so the ice on the ground should be sharp. After work going to move some of those 14 footers and 8 footers that are already up on the dam. Temp is going to be 18 on Tuesday so  I should get the other 8 cut then. That will leave logs for milling. Then a day for cleanup and then we will be done till spring seeding.
When the dam project is finished I will be starting on timber stand improvement so this means more staves on the way!

Offline iowabow

« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2014, 09:44:55 am »
Iowan news

I have two young men that want to come and finish building their bows on saturday. They already have the ring chased on their staves. They are driving 5 hours to get here so I want to make sure I have help before I tell them to come down. They would like start on Saturday and finish their bows the same day. Please let me know if you can help out so that I can let them know. Looks like the snow will be on friday not saturday. Also if you have projects to work on there should be lots of time to work on them also.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2014, 07:32:14 pm »
Just about got it knocked out 2-3 trees left and cleanup.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2014, 08:28:36 pm »
Tim stopped by work and dropped off a box he made for the quad.  Just in time too, the 24 year old hoist box bit the dust after much use this winter. Now we have two good chainsaw boxes for both saws.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2014, 09:21:04 am »
Iowan news

The boys from up north are coming early Saturday morning. When tam if you can make it great Tim and Steve are coming but will only have Tim for a short time. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

On another note my college ask me to provide a demo on primitive skills to my colleagues. This will take place during our scheduled professional development day. This should be a lot of fun.  If your in the area and would like be a guess I am sure I could arrange that. Date, time, and place TBA when I get more info. Nothing cooler than knappin at work.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2014, 10:17:24 am »
Cool pictures, looks like a lot of work in that cold!
1’—>1’

Offline iowabow

« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2014, 07:57:39 pm »
It has been very cold! Many days cutting in 8 degree weather. Here is a panoramic view of the completed cutting that I just finished. Now I have a lot of clean up and logs to move and some chainsaw milling to do.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 08:08:07 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2014, 08:05:07 pm »
Here  are a couple more

Offline iowabow

« Reply #134 on: January 30, 2014, 09:09:13 am »

Iowan news
IF you have not read this post from the beginning I will bring you up to date. We are in the seedling stages of building an archery group in the southeast Iowa area. Inspired by this website and the Twin Oaks Bow Club in TN, we too are dedicated to passing on the tradition of primitive archery. What we have accomplished so far, helped  about 15 guys build their first bows. This got started with help from Scott, Josh Barnes, Beadman, Jw Halverson. These guys helped jump start the first members  from there these new members are helping the next set of guys and I hope it continues to grow form this point on. We have a campground area cleared, logged timber for a structure, organized for Iowa Jam, and have started meeting regularly. So I think all of you can understand why I am so looking forward to this weekend. My weekend starts when I leave at 1 on Friday and meet Tim at the house to move logs from the dam toward the new shelter area. It will be nice to have that project completed before the thaw. Moving logs across frozen ground is easier than across that new dirt on the dam which will turn to mud in a couple weeks.  The two guys that need that help on their bows will come Saturday at 8am and work till their bows are done.  Steve, Paul, Tim, and Matt (coming at different time during the day) will be helping. Such a great group of guys! This might be the first time that I sit back and watch!.  Sunday I hope to take the day off and just knap a little and relax.