Author Topic: Any interest in a Saxton Pope hardcover? (Pics and wishlist added)  (Read 4323 times)

JacksonCash

Wife mentioned that she saw a copy of a Saxton Pope book at a local used book shop- I don't know what the title is right now, but I'll find out and I'd be willing to nab it for someone if they had an interest, and trade it for something.

EDIT: It is Hunting with the bow and arrow, 2nd edition, copyright 1925. Smells like an old book, looks like an old book. Some tears on two pages, shown below.

I'd like to trade for(in descending order of preference):
  • A bow
  • Some nice arrows
  • Knapping material
  • Knapping tools
  • Stave
  • Other raw materials

I'm pretty open to anything, so don't hesitate to make an offer. Just gotta clear it with the wife. Since she did the footwork, she's demanding approval of the trade. ;)

FYI- Going away for Christmas vacation. Be back Saturday. I'll try to hop on and read any replies, but certainly won't be able to ship until next week.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:03:22 pm by JacksonCash »

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Any interest in a Saxton Pope hardcover?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 12:01:38 pm »
I'm interested. Let me know what you're looking for in trade.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »
If it's not the book title you mentioned I'm interested. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

JacksonCash

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 12:23:40 pm »
I'll have the wife go take a look at it later today if the weather is good. Otherwise I will let you know tomorrow.

JacksonCash

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 03:02:45 pm »
Book store is closed due to weather today. I'll have to let you guys know tomorrow.

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 03:57:24 pm »
Yes. Please find out the title...I will wait in line patiently... :laugh:
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline wood_bandit 99

• Shoot straight my friends!!   55#@26"
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 01:07:46 am »
What are you looking for in trade? I have heard Mohawk rips people off so you better just give it to me  :laugh:  just kidding Mohawk  :laugh:
"Judge a man by his questions, not his answers" ~Anonymous

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

JacksonCash

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 10:41:45 am »
Still trying to get ahold of the bookstore owner to see what book it actually is. My 60+ hour work last week and approaching (This afternoon!) Christmas vacation have been hindering things. Wife is going to check again today. Once I have the book I'll think of something I want for it.

JacksonCash

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 12:59:46 pm »
It is infact Hunting with the Bow and Arrow. My wife just picked it up. I am trying to get a few more details from her and maybe some pictures. I'll start getting a list of things I'd like for trade for it and keep you guys posted.

JacksonCash

Re: Any interest in a Saxton Pope hardcover? (Pics and wishlist added)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 06:02:24 pm »
Edited main post- see above.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 11:12:14 pm »
I'm interested. I have knapping rock, Tonkin Bamboo, books and etc.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 03:03:34 pm »
I have a stave I could trade, osage 73" long I can even follow a growth ring and cut it out for you. It is 1.5" wide and snaky. I also could trade another stave of osage that is 74" long 4" wide has a little propeller twist and has 4" of deflex in one limb. All are seasoned for a minimum of 5 years. I also have a laminate longbow that is 64" long and is 33-37# @ 28, I can't remember but it was between there for sure. Be good for your wife  :D it is bamboo backed red oak and has a rest and a osage handle. Deflex reflex style and had bocote tips. Good little bow.

"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." ~Chinese Proverb

Offline oscar3b

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 12:26:35 am »
I would be willing to trade you a nowadays a well.  You just let me know what you want, draw length and poundage and I'm sure we could figure out something.  Just let me know.  Thanks!
Ben

Berea, Kentucky
27" draw
30-70# (though I want to build to 125 one day)

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 03:10:44 pm »
Here is the bow. I hope this isn't against the rules of trading but I am just explaining what the markings on the bow mean. I am sorry if I am unable to do this, if I can't moderators feel free to tell me and I will get rid of the unlawful pics.

It is 30# @26" but I tillered it out to 28" I will make you a custom string any color and you have a choice of beaver or rabbit silencers. Rabbit are white or gray or tan beaver is brown. I named the bow "savannah" just because I name all my bows and that is what I thought this bow should be called. I have shot it a bunch and it is super nice, the pics don't give it justice. It has a T with two arrows under it and a rocking sign above it. I wanted to make a stamp that is my company that is like a cattle brand. So I created Territory Bows to sellout stuff under and just have on all my bows to say that it's mine. It shoots good and doesn't have any hand shock. Fun little bow. Here are some pics, I am no photographer but I do try. These are good pics but it is just with my phone so it isn't outstanding.  :laugh:

Offline wood_bandit 99

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 03:19:31 pm »
It has a little more than 2" string follow.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:03:23 pm by wood_bandit 99 »