Author Topic: Ice Fishing '13  (Read 20245 times)

Offline Stoker

Ice Fishing '13
« on: December 18, 2013, 05:22:04 pm »
Well it's that time of the year again... Hunting is over the lakes have 20'' of ice... Young Dan (SkinnyD) started us off with a 27" pike.. The young buck caught 2 but only took one pic... Steve that old tip up is working great.. Lotsa line been run out I just gotta be quicker :-[ ...
NOTE - Ifin any of you catch something through the ice... Feel free to hijack at will... Cold water catches ok too... Or if your holding a cold beer.....
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline KHalverson

Re: Ice Fishing '13
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 06:11:19 pm »
nice northern.
the lakes are just starting to get safe ice here.
but there is too much shelf ice to steelhead fish the river .
im gonna try and get out this weekend
Kevin

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 06:15:30 pm »
Nice! Love hard water fishing but we are losing any ice we have with 4" rain and 50 degrees in the forecast :(

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline seabass

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 06:56:00 pm »
you just put a smile on my face.i am glad those tip ups are working for ya.i might get to do a little hard water fishing myself this year.we haven't had good ice in years.that might change this year.keep posting your catches Leroy.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline PrimitiveTim

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 01:52:06 am »
What???  I thought northern people hibernated  >:D Better you than me out on that ice.  ugh, if i'm gonna be in snow I better be sliding down the side of mountain.
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:54:03 am »
just one tiny perch so far hope to have a picture this weekend Of something worth the effort ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 08:28:31 am »
Im right behind you Leroy! We have about 5-6" now, but I have no time this week. Soon. Nice pike!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 09:09:34 am »
Looks like a good time, for y'all. I'll stick to flip-flops, shorts and a Tee shirt fishing off of the beach.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:19:24 am »
This is a laker I caught several years ago. We caught 11 lakers that particular day. All of them where 18-34" long. We use regular medium action 6' 6" rods and spinning reels with 10# mono. I made rod holders from OSB. Live smelt is the bait of choice. We get there at 2-3 am and catch a cooler of smelt. Then jump on quads and run out a few miles to catch the lakers all morning.....if things go right. Michigan is a wonderful place for outdoorsman!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline sweeney3

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 09:56:27 am »
That looks great.  We don't have ice fishing here in arKansas, so there isn't much to catch until March or April anyway.  Always thought it would be neat. 

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 11:02:45 am »
Thanks for the replies... PD that's a nice trout... I caught a laker like that bout 15 years ago... Released it on my bbq  >:D mmmmmmmm.. Going out again Saturday.. I'll take some pics of our setup fer you southern gents.. So you can a see what your missing ;)
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Parnell

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 01:27:07 pm »
I used to enjoy doing that when I lived in the cold.  Those were always fun days/nights.  More photos!
1’—>1’

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 02:33:33 pm »

My Buddy in Montana fishes the ice quite a bit, and is in Havre, Mt. at the moment, and is doing well on the ice there also, caught some nice sized walleyes, and some pike.  He caught a nice 40 inch one in Thompson Falls, and when I went ice fishing with him, we only caught about four medium pike, but the day before, some guy caught a 48, or fifty some inch pike!  I can't remember the exact length, but it was the talk of the town! I managed to miss a couple, and then when one of the tip ups went up, I stood up from my chair, and I was no longer standing, but landed on my side hard, and jammed my hip somehow.  I was ok, till the next day, and it still gives me some problems, not as bad as it was, but I still can't fully cross my leg, and relax it.  But I am doing it a bit more and more, I have been doing some exercises the Chiropractor told me to do, and it is helping quite a bit.  Up to that slip, I was enjoying ice fishing.  Didn't have my Yak Trax then, but I do now, and then I found out after buying them, I could have just used a pair of panty hose wrapped around my feet, or some hemp rope wrapped around my feet, and they work as well or better than the Yak Trax, and MUCH cheaper!  The fall, which gave me no time catch my self, or try to correct the fall, I was just on the ice!  I stood up, and BAM, I was on the ice.  Ice do be a tad bit hard!  But that was last year, and I wish I could be there this year.  It wasn't till after, I was out there, and fishing that I realized why my Buddy never said how thick the ice was.  It was only about 3-4 inches thick!  He said it was plenty thick.  Uh..... uh huh.  Well I was next to the little boat like sled that was used to carry the tip ups, and chairs, and the bait.  Just in case I suddenly stood up and suddenly went through the ice.  It probably wouldn't do any good anyway, because if i went through the ice into that COLD water, I'd be done for!  Not so much form being weighted down with heavy clothes, and drowning, but from choking to death from two lumps in my throat! ::)  But I did enjoy it, and wish I was out there now.  But next year!  Look out fish!  Some mighty fine eating there guys.

Wayne

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 04:04:04 pm »
pd
that's a nice laker.
my guess on location would be GT bay of Higgens lake. (am I close)
Kevin

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 04:12:30 pm »
Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhh!