Author Topic: insulating my shop have questions  (Read 2389 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
insulating my shop have questions
« on: December 19, 2013, 01:03:20 am »
I am using craft back R19 and then 5/8 rock...the question I have I hope someone can answer is that in a couple places I ripped the paper and also I have a few joints where I ran out and started a new role do I need to tape the holes and joints and if I do what tape works best if not party on ...really need to get this together so I can get back to making bows!!!
Thanks for any information

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Don Case

Re: insulating my shop have questions
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:25:39 am »
Tuck Tape up here. I believe it is the same stuff they tape house wrap with. Expensive apparently. Maybe you can back a bow with the leftover. ;D

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 02:55:56 am »
Thanks ...I was hoping I didn't have to do anything but its better to do it right and I wouldn't rule it out of the realm of possibilities for me to back a bow with it  >:D

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:42:45 am »
Tuck tape X2... Been drywalling 32 years
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 04:32:38 pm »

You talking about the paper on the dry wall, or the insulation?  If you can, I would insulate the floor also. ;)

If it is the drywall, do like it was said with Tuck tape.

Wayne

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 08:34:29 pm »
Its for the insulation paper

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 09:33:34 pm »

I wouldn't worry about the paper on the insulation, it is basically there to hold the insulation, so you can handle it.  As for the ends of two rolls joining, don't worry about it, unless it is a big gap.  Just fluff it up a bit, and it will be fine, if it is a big gap, just cut a piece of insulation and stuff it in.  You are putting up dry wall anyway, so don't worry about it.  But use as much insulation as you can and insulate all the walls, and floor also if you can.  It makes a big difference in heating and cooling.  Plus the cost factor for heating and cooling! ;)  Also good double pane windows are a plus .  You can check for heat loss outside, with a heat sensor.  Good luck, and enjoy your man cave!

Wayne

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 01:25:35 am »
So no tape on the insulation and just fire tape and mud the drywall?
it already has a concrete floor so the insulating is a no go on that the garage door is insulated and 1 double pane window

Offline stickbender

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 02:22:30 am »

I have never seen insulation taped, down here in Florida, or in Montana.  No reason for it, just fluff it, and put your ceiling up.  Too bad about the floor, but if you had lots of time, and were bored, and had more money, you could build a four inch floor joyce, over that, and insulate that. ::) ;D  But sounds like you will be fine with what you have.  After you get the walls and ceiling finished, you can build a rack for bow staves, and a bin for arrow shafts. ;) and a refrigerator, and comfortable chair, and a TV...... uh you know for watching those Yankee workshop, and Roy Underhill shows, and other programs like that, and Hunting channels, fishing channels, NFL, and....... ;) ;D

Wayne

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 02:28:01 am »
Lol I have most of that covered except for the drywall and insulation I have a microwave and fridge a wood rack Arrow bins work bench just have to leave room for the wife's car... maybe >:D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 02:34:22 am »
     Ah...... the Wife's car....... sort of like finding lots of quartz, and gold streaks, and then a gas pocket......Cars are designed to stay outside. ::)  Go on..... tell her that! ;) ::) ::)  When you are able to type, let us know how that turned out. ;D ;D

Wayne
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 03:46:53 am by stickbender »

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 02:38:12 am »
I'm not man enough :-[  I just won't tell her its ready  >:D

Offline stickbender

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 03:49:39 am »

A wise decision on your part.  could make for a much colder, and longer winter, otherwise.  ;)  Now as long as she doesn't go on line........ ::) :P

Wayne

Offline KrisDelger

• Just another guy breaking sticks
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 06:21:51 pm »
I'd say leave the inso as it is and just fluff it up where the ends butt together. As for the drywall itself I usually go with fire tape followed by a layer of sheet rock tape then mud. If you're going to paint it make sure the mud is smooth across the surface or do what I did on my shop ceiling (Cheat!) sponge paint the ceiling white with three coats of paint it leaves the paint textured and hides the screw up from the mud!
Just a young guy with a filing cabinet for a memory and a whole lot of useless information.

Offline seabass

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2013, 10:45:41 pm »
you don't need to tape the insulation.cover with sheetrock and finish her out.
Middletown,Ohio