Author Topic: Full moon  (Read 8481 times)

Offline 4dog

Re: Full moon
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 02:14:34 pm »
dont ever tell us what yer holding Halverson...ever.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 09:56:01 pm »
I actually enjoy hunting the morning after a full moon. Typically, the deer don't get moving until late morning, 10:00 and later. Considering, I hunt mostly state land, most hunters around here are leaving the woods before 10. ;) The afternoon hunt seems to be pointless though.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 11:47:35 pm »
Deer still have to eat. I have read that one of the best times to hunt and fish is when the moon is overhead or directly below(180 deg around the earth) and the second best time is when the moon is on either horizon(aka. moon south). That would put dusk and dawn OK and mid day the best. This is everyday and not just during the full moon.
 After deer eat they go lay down and chew their cud. After a while they are back up eating and on it goes. I think it comes down to being at the right place at the right time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will H

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2013, 12:14:07 am »
I definitely pay attention to the moon when deer hunting. I think weather is the most important factor to good hunting but I've found that when the moon is directly overhead or underfoot during normal feeding/travel times (i.e. Early morning, late evening) I see more deer. Combine that with a cold front and it's usually a sure thing to see deer on their feet. I think that's also why during a full moon deer tend to move later toward midday when the moon is directly underfoot.
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 09:10:39 pm »
Deer movement/activity under a full moon is part science and part mysticism, but nobody ever says that flipping topwater plugs under a full moon is a waste of time!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 09:17:39 pm »
JW,
Top water plugs  are great anytime the surfaced H2O temp is over 58 deg f. " experience " say's it all................... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 09:26:08 pm »
And even more thrilling for northern pike when they are warming up in early summer, too!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2013, 10:13:51 pm »
This KY boy has done some of that explosive spring time pike fish'n to!!!  You've got to experience it to know what we're talk'n about.  :o
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2013, 10:19:30 pm »
A feller can pick up unlimited numbers of bass by the bottom lip, but only one pike thataway!

Offline sleek

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2013, 11:28:58 pm »
Danznbar, explosive spring time pike fishin eh? I wouldnt admit that publicly what with legality of tnt fishin and all....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others