Author Topic: Discussion Of Burlington Chert  (Read 10798 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: Discussion Of Burlington Chert
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 10:03:17 am »
Sounds like you have your bases covered for your goals; access to large amounts of material, a desire to learn, and this website.  Learning to knap is about how much material you hit and figuring out what works for you. There is little substitute for experience and watching others work stone. If you can find people in your area and watch them knap ask them questions and knap with them you will learn much faster. This will be the fastest track to learning second watch paleojim's videos jackcrafty's videos and I have made a few but they are mainly for those looking for abo help. There are more people on this site using copper so you may learn faster going that route antler is very hard to explain and requires a new knapper to work very slowly to set up platforms. This extra time may be frustrating for someone wanting to jump right in and start hitting stone.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 12:32:32 pm »
While I agree about copper, I don't believe that fits with my goals.  I use a solid soft brass bopper during reduction a lot, if for no other reason, than to conserve hammerstones.  Available tools is the thing, and while there are small copper deposits in this area, and one about ten miles from my land and cabin, I don't think that meets the available standard very well.   I think that fits more with a large permanent camp, and trade, than it does the available tools idea. 
I have been having good luck with antler, but working raw Burlington, the antlers are very much consumables.  Swinging an antler tine about 8 inches long, backwards, heavy end out, knocks very good flakes off the raw, and in the beginning, are rounded so that you can hit specific things.  As they wear, the contact area gets wider, and hitting specifics gets harder to do, like with worn hammerstones.  Swung the other way, small tip out, you can do some very nice shaping work, while getting pretty much the same flakes you would get with pressure.  You can shape a spall or cut that stalled edge on down quickly, but that end wears also.  The wear actually keeps it in good shape for pressure work, but how many 8 inch tines do you have laying around?  We are back to the available tools thing again.   
I have not investigated bone yet.
I watched some of the wood indirect with interest.  I watched him just raining flakes off the side of a big plate of Burlington in the video, and my first thought was that he had a different Burlington than any I had seen.  I have now handled such material, and very much intend to experiment with wood indirect.  That doesn't answer for small careful detail work, but it might make for a more controlled reduction/biface stage.  Or so I hope. 
I have a wooden dowel with a long piece of brass pin stock glued in.  As it wears, I use a razor knife to whittle the wood back to expose more tip.  I do not yet have a long pressure flaking tool, but I have a one inch dowel leaned against the wall to make a couple of them.  They won't fit the available tools either, but should make working this stuff raw easier. 
I had a flat blade of opaque, but very good quality material, that was about 1/4 inch on one edge, broken square, and about half that on the other, with a nice edge bevel on the skinny edge, making it look very much like a piece of a broken sword that was sharpened on one side only, about two inches wide, and six long.  Material flakes like a dream.  I studied and I finally drew what I wanted to do on the piece.  I was going to use it as a uniface knife blade, with a uniface flake pattern edge, but with the actual edge ground sharp, by hand.  The idea was to make a knife that could actually be used for a long period of time. 
I carefully took the few flakes needed to straighten it.  I rounded the end into the shape of a rounded Tanto, reproducing the angle of the rest of the edge.  I was already thinking about how to best remove the red staining from the flat perfect sides, and had already decided to clamp it and drill the handle, making a modern style stone bladed knife.  I needed one more flake to make the tip correct. 
I don't have a blade to show you today.   I now have an odd shaped triangular piece that may make a point.   I am learning. 

When the snow melts, I am going to try again, but the newspaper website says it is minus 5, and the ruler says there is 15 inches of the white stuff on top of where those pieces are.  I believe there is at least one other piece that is already close out there, because one of the chunks was pretty much tabbed inside before I touched it.  It came apart into tabs much like slabs. 
Anyway, it is nice talking to you.  I have enjoyed it, but few have discussed the actual working of Burlington in the thread. 

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 10:27:34 am »
Anyway, it is nice talking to you.  I have enjoyed it, but few have discussed the actual working of Burlington in the thread.

You did not ask to discuss the workability of the material you asked to describe what we call Burlington. I think that was accomplished.

Most people work it heated. Some few work it raw.  Platform  prep and is going to be determined by tool. Copper, antler or hammerstone.

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 12:09:10 pm »
To the best of my knowledge, the easiest way to work raw Burlington is the method this fellow is using:

(Picture from: http://www.susquehanna-wd.com/susquehanna_wd_home_page.html - Thank you MIchael if you happen to see this.)

Offline iowabow

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 01:59:03 pm »
New users to this site sometimes fell like the response is slow to post but not a lot of people knap and ever fewer use burlington. There has been a decrease in the use of burlington for a number  reasons. Mostly the economy.  With a decrease in construction there becomes fewer sources for material to be gathered in large quantities . At the skunk river knapin here in Ia there was more Tx flint for sell then burlington. It is a midwest material and if you have a source you should consider yourself very fortunate.  You should make a few points and post them and you will get more response to your material and projects. I kinda felt the same way with my first couple of post but that changed as I posted more and more.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:03:45 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 03:06:02 pm »
I apologize.  I titled it the way I did, because all discussion of knapping Burlington is of interest. 
I also consider myself fortunate to have nearby life supplies of the material to use, at the cost of going and getting it. 
My attempts at points have been few, and invariably, far too thick.  I would be embarassed to post them.  I have done quite a bit of hammer stone work now, making bifaces out of the rough material, or cleaning flaw.  I have very little experience flaking at all.  Most of what I have done, is drive flakes, and experiment with methods of flaking.   I did get two flakes to run almost to the other edge yesterday, but typically, 1/4 inch is a lot closer to average.  I flake and shape, but going one way, eats up the scars of the flakes going the other way, until a stall angle is reached.  I fail to be able to thin unless I use percussion so far.
I created a long flaking tool, and have been playing with it, so what I can do with this material has grown.  I am currently running experiments and learning capabilities with it.   
The question I am working on right now, is the difference between laying the long flaking tool across my lap to drive flakes off, and tucking it under my arm, to push flakes off, using the whole body. 

I have considered taking some of my lapidary tools and pulling a Darth Vader on a couple of pieces!  The better pieces that have been inside in the dry, would be heating now, but there is still 15 inches of snow on and around my car, and I really don't want the sand I need, enough to go outside and work for over and hour to get the car out of the driveway!  Much of that material is too good for learning practice anyway. 

Oops!  My wife just changed my mind about digging the car out!

« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 03:21:12 pm by Ahnlaashock »

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2014, 06:45:59 pm »
What kind of tools are you interested in Abo tools I presume? Do you have a moose billet?  A tine billet will not have the density or mass need to drive flakes off raw Burlington. 

Offline Dalton Knapper

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2014, 07:04:37 pm »
Marty had me using a donut (small donut) sized soft hammerstone the time I almost got a lesson from him and we were working raw Burlington. It was then that my wife wanted to leave the knap in......sigh..........

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2014, 11:30:40 pm »
No larger antler billet of any kind so far.   A piece of whitetail main beam that is curved can be used as a swung billet, but I usually use it for indirect. 
I am using hammerstones for reduction, and pretty much everything.  I have a 6 inch soft brass billet that I use for some things.  Mostly to save on hammerstone wear.  I have concentrated on finding, collecting, and reducing the material into usable pieces, spalls, blades, and bifaces.  I have not really tried to do much past that stage, and the snow stopped me from even completing that task all the way.   I am kind of shocked at the amount of time I have spent just reducing it.  I am getting better, and the last few hours, I was using a hammerstone a little bigger than a golf ball. 
The long flake tool with the copper tip is very nice.  I can do a lot more using it, but I am just learning it.  I have been doing enough flaking that my left arm and hands are sore.  I worked a small piece of obsidian today, and I had little problem doing what I wanted to with it.  After working with the raw, it seemed like nothing to push off even long flakes in the obsidian. 
I have the turkey roaster full, and I am 24 hours into a drying cycle.  I mentioned my reluctance to heat treat to a friend who is Native American, and she pretty much laughed at the idea.  She said that rocks had been being heated for the sweat lodge for thousands of years, and for cooking or heating even longer than that.  That many, if not most of the tools were made from such material, and had been for time out of knowing.   I will try seriously flaking it again when that batch is done.  I put in a bunch of practice grade material in to learn on. 
I would prefer to be using all ABO tools, preferably all tools readily available in the area, but for right now, I will be happy with just getting the job done. 

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 03:13:02 pm »
I was discussing heat treating stone in the turkey roaster, and my wife popped off with, there is a kiln on Craigslist for 120 bucks.  Well, I now own a paragon kiln and 18 ceramics molds.  You guys are a bad influence, and my wife even helped! 

Ahnlaashock

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 01:10:03 pm »
42 hours drying, and 42 hours at full heat.  There are some light pink color changes, but I think the heat is just too low.  The piece I tested flakes a little better, and works a lot better with hammerstone, but I think it needs either more heat, or more time.  This batch is going to get 42 hours of heat, a cool down, and then another shorter heat cycle to see if that changes anything. 
After I get the kiln set up and running, I suspect I will abandon the turkey roaster, at least for Burlington.