Author Topic: Two Fletch Question.  (Read 1543 times)

Offline BowJunkie

Two Fletch Question.
« on: January 05, 2014, 12:12:51 pm »
I have several sets of garden stakes that I am about to Fletch.  I would like to make these with two Fletch instead of three.
My question is, should the Fletchings be vertical or horizontal for best performance?
Keep in mind I will be using Turkey feathers for Fletching and attaching the Fletching with Deer leg sinew.
Also I usually shoot bare knuckle and off the handle of the bow, "no arrow shelf cut ins".
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: Two Fletch Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 02:12:10 pm »
After doing quite a few 2 fletch arrows I prefer orient the feathers at 11 and 5 O'clock. I've read where others prefer 1 and 7 and haven't really found much difference in how they fly. I've even done 3 and 9 O'clock and just can't see much advantage as long as the arrows are spined correctly for the bow.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:47:22 pm »
This is how I do my two-fletch when I want the best flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45WzlNRP3KI

(Edit:  sorry, first link that I posted didn't take you to the video.  This one should work)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 11:53:50 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys. I will try an arrow for each set up and see how they work out for me.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 12:42:31 am »
  Nice video Patrick!
                               BowJunkie, My set up on fletching is almost identical to Patrick's. Here's a pic to look at...It's right wing, right helical...About 1/4 twist 90 degrees to give the arrow some spin. Front quill sinewed down smooth for safety and comfort. Hope this helps...
                                                                                             Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;