Author Topic: 17th Tennessee Classic  (Read 127116 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: 17th Tennessee Classic
« Reply #435 on: May 05, 2014, 12:04:48 pm »
I'll chime in also,
Thank you Pappy, Miss Joanie and all of the guy's at Twin Oaks!
You all are awesome and very generous for sharing your little slice of heaven with us each year, I can't think of a more special place or group of people.
It is always great to see old friends and meet new ones, this is what I treasure the most! Especially nice to meet JW and Del, what a couple of characters, it was a pleasure spending time and talking with you both!
Can't wait for next year!!!!!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #436 on: May 05, 2014, 12:23:55 pm »
Man, I'm still smiling from the good times I had down there.  Hanging out with Will H, shooting and running around with Osage Outlaw and Blackhawk, sitting around the camp fire and eating wonderful food with Stringman and Dave, shooting one of missilemaster's sweet bows, talking with Del (He's a hoot and a good storyteller, love the accent), even spent one early morning with Pappy in the kitchen making sausage and biscuits.  The Wirwiki's were a pleasure, as always.  Meeting the newly weds, swapping stories with Gun Doc, hearing Mississippi Dave's songs, soaking some suds with seabass and BearG, chillin in the pavilion with Tracy and his wife, the list goes on and on.  Helping Blackhawk and Gun Doc string up the hemlock warbow was memorable.  Met so many wonderful people, I can't remember all of the names, but have lots of good memories. 
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #437 on: May 05, 2014, 12:40:11 pm »
First time at the Classic and had a blast. Everyone you passed would nod or speak. Asked Del one morning if he was enjoying himself and he replied "A cracking time".. ;D, not sure what that meant but I am positive it was a good thing by the smile on his face. My goal was to learn as much as possible in the knapping pit and thanks to Stringman and OutbackBob and several others who would give suggestions and guidance. Even got in the toilet tank competition and was able to finish a point in time.

The people,food,events and evening fireside music all made the trip worth while. Thanks to Pappy and the Twin Oaks members for putting on a great event!

I also didn't think the rain was that bad, what's all the fuss been about every year?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:46:44 pm by nclonghunter »
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #438 on: May 05, 2014, 01:17:53 pm »
I finally made my first Classic.  It was a blast, even though I only got to do a couple days.  As has already been mentioned, the weather was PERFECT!  The company was even better!  I only brought a couple smaller projects to work on since I knew I was going to have such limited time.  My main objective was to get to meet in-real-life a few of the guys I know online in the vitual sort of manner.

I have a new project I'm going to have to do in my back yard now.  I fell in love with the Cedar post mounted vices in the bow shop.  I've been working from a bench for years, ...but that post arrangement was pretty awesome!  I'll be on the look out for a suitable cedar log and a big ole vice to mount on it.  I may have to contrive some sort of cover for the vice that'll look like a bird bath when it's not in use just to keep the neighbors and the Missus happy with it.  >:D

It was a great time.  I'm sure I'll be back.  My sincere thanx to all those that I'm sure had to do a lot of preliminary work to make the whole event come off so well.  The food was GREAT, especially Saturday evening.  The facility there is awesome...

OneBow

Offline TRACY

« Reply #439 on: May 05, 2014, 01:18:49 pm »
Only 360 more days until the 18th Classic! >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Stringman

« Reply #440 on: May 05, 2014, 02:18:31 pm »
From the sounds of it, you all had as good a time as I did! No reason to restate what's already been mentioned, so let me add to the list.

Watched while Derik, John, Josh, and Eric (and girlfriend) left their mark on the spirit wall.

Picking mushrooms beside the trail and then stashing them so we could pick them up later (never did go back for them.)

Listening in while Del and JW coordinate their parts of the story and deciding who would play their roles when it hits the big screen.

Strolling back to camp to the sound of steaks sizzling in the skillet. (Dave is an outstanding cook!)

Gifts from several unexpected directions! - thanks to all of you!

Watching weewicki toddle around camp knowing he was safe no matter who was watchin him.

And of course the evening music by the fire. Might have to bring my harmonicas next year.

I'm grateful to all the twin oaks crew, incluing Pappy and Miss Joanie for the wonderful way you all make us foreigners feel at home. From the moment we arrived to the time we rolled off the gravel we was welcomed, smiled at, and waved to. I know there are other events like this one around the world, but I dare say there are none better. My hats off to you for the effort you all put out to make this special for so many people.

Looking forward to next year...

Offline DirtyDan

« Reply #441 on: May 05, 2014, 04:45:16 pm »
Thanks, Pappy and the Twin Oaks gang for putting on another great show.  It gets better every year.  Great to see old friends and meet new ones....and to see all the MAJOR LEAGUE bows hanging at the front of the shed.  The bows you guys make are outstanding.  It is worth the trip just to see them in person. 
Dan Spier
Marietta, GA

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #442 on: May 05, 2014, 06:22:19 pm »
Got home early this morning. What a blast!  Thanks twin oaks for another fantastic year! Cant wait till next time!!! :)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #443 on: May 05, 2014, 07:15:27 pm »
My favorite Classic, so far!  I posted up on Life is Good, so I won't go on too long.  I spent most of the drive thinking about the people and how good everyone is.  It is always hard to leave that!

I had an incredible time with you all.  I can't wait to do it again. 

Thanks to everyone for your generosity and graciousness.  Especially, Pappy and the crew and all their hard work.

I have photos I'm going to start to work on, I'll get 'em up shortly!

Be well, my friends.  Thanks for such a great time!
1’—>1’

Offline Catahoula

« Reply #444 on: May 05, 2014, 08:52:58 pm »
Hi Pappy,

We sure had a great time!  My back gave out on me and we had to head home on Sunday morning.  Just wanted to say it was awesome and our friends Carson and June as well as my sweetie Barbara had a wonderful time!  The deer haunch on Saturday night was great!  Sure hope to be able to make it back next year.

Rand and Barbara Rowe
(Catahoula flutes)
Lugoff, SC
“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.”― Mae West

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #445 on: May 05, 2014, 09:14:57 pm »
The wife and I had a blast at this years classic, thanks to all of you at Twin Oaks that make this happen. Been home less than 24 hours and missing the place already. I hope you know how special your work is in bringing good people together for a great weekend where lasting friendships are formed. it really is that kinda place.
Was able to meet more great people from the PA community this year and put a face to the names and got to catch up friends from last year as well. Had great camp neighbors in Bill (Danzn Bar) and Howard (H. Rhodes),... my face still hurts from all the laughs we had in camp. Came home with a cool variety of staves collected from across the states by a certain Kansas truck driver, plus a box full of Alabama turkey feathers and a pecan stave from a certain deer & hog stalker. Also got a super nice knife made by one of Twin Oaks very own. On top of all that is the memories we get to bring home, here's some pics we took of the fun.

I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #446 on: May 05, 2014, 09:21:08 pm »
Wow!  I hated for it to end.  It was a great time and I appreciate everyone that had a hand in it.  Special thanks to Badly Bent and family - thanks for taking me in and sharing your fire.   I met too many wonderful people to mention.  I don't think I have seen a better gathering of such good hearted folks in my life.  I will be counting the days till the next one.  I appreciate the hard work that went into this event.  The Twin Oaks boys are something else. :)
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #447 on: May 05, 2014, 09:21:15 pm »
and a few more pics.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #448 on: May 05, 2014, 09:50:05 pm »
Ok, here are some photos...
1’—>1’

Offline Parnell

« Reply #449 on: May 05, 2014, 09:52:09 pm »
These photos are when I received the two bows I got this trip.  First from Auggie is my trade bow and the second is a surprise gift from Pat B.  You guys are the best and I appreciate the work and thought you put into the gifts.  THANKS.
1’—>1’