Author Topic: bow stabilizers  (Read 11053 times)

Offline echatham

Re: bow stabilizers
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 04:09:31 pm »
with a bow like that you could get funny looks from EVERYBODY at the shoot... instead of just half the people.  thats a win.   im gonna do it.....    Naysayers.... hah  ::)

blackhawk

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 04:18:17 pm »
or you could haft a spear point to it for when the other guy gets in close  >:D

Ya mean like this?  >:D
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,36338.0/nowap.html

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 04:30:01 pm »
I get hot every time I see that bow, Chris.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline echatham

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 04:36:05 pm »
i did think of that one  :)  but i mean like a good two footer.... with a stone point hafted on. 

blackhawk

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 04:36:30 pm »
I get hot every time I see that bow, Chris.  ;D

Oh my!!!!!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  ;D  I can set you two up for a date if you'd like? Ya know it was hanging up in the twin oaks bow shop at the last classic...ya shouldve grabbed it and snuck off into the woods by your lonesome  >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2014, 04:38:36 pm »
And kept it, he wouldn't have know the difference!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2014, 06:00:41 pm »
im thinkin the OP misses the point of the forum..and just doesnt realize that in PRIMITIVE  archery......our arm IS the stabilizer..maybe they think the bows are heavy..like those wheelie thingys made of ...well whatever they are made of.
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline 4dog

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2014, 06:02:26 pm »
ahem...and maybe give them a break...just a lil bit.     maybe...maybe not.   >:D
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline adb

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2014, 06:04:32 pm »
Sounds like Pat needs some alone time with Vlad!!

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2014, 06:24:30 pm »
Wow come on guys learn some respect Especially the " stupid question" comment There really is no such thing, when you say things like that it makes people afraid to ask questions you should be encouraging it !!
I like osage

Offline aaron

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2014, 07:11:57 pm »
yeah there are no stupid questions- keep 'em coming OP. I think you could strap on a stabilizer, but it wouldn't make a short bow as accurate as a long bow.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline half eye

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2014, 07:22:19 pm »
Hey I got a STUPID question.....how come we don't have a civility and manners "how - to"? Couldn't find a single mention in the how to section?
rich

Offline pincushin

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2014, 09:31:19 pm »
I normally just observe these kind of conversations but here is my input i think that if he wanted to try it ok but maybe he is new to primitive archery and needs some kind advice

Offline steve.b

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 02:41:19 am »
I would bet you could buy an insert that you could screw a commercial stabilizer into that could be mounted in the riser section of a bow. I've seen fiberglass recurves with them.

Don't worry this is an open minded group of people, you should have no problem finding some info.

A stabilizer might not be something you would find on a traditional bow, but neither is a broom handle take down or a fiberglass or pvc sleave take down. I'm also fairly certain traditional bowers didn't use super glue or even epoxy glues. Everyone needs to determine how primative they want to be and where they draw the line.

Let he who does not use a chainsaw for cutting his staves, a car for transporting them, a bandsaw for shaping them or a climate controlled electrically lit building for storing and drying them throw the first metephoric stone.

I would bet that my ancestors both native american and european would have used a stabilizer on their bows if it would have helped there accuracy in the hunt or war.

Don't let other people dictate the direction you want to try. I can imagine several ways to create and mount a "primative" stabilizer. The art and craft of wooden bows should not be frozen in past desings simply because someone else says they should. And if that is the limit of this forum I would like to see the historic models that the last years bows of the month were based on.

As for the utility of some sort of stabilizer on such a bow, based on the comments not sure you will find a definative answer here. I say give it a try. Worst case you tweek a few people's ego's when you screw the stabilizer into your osage self bow.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:57:10 am by steve.b »

mikekeswick

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 04:16:58 am »
Let he who does not use a chainsaw for cutting his staves, a car for transporting them, a bandsaw for shaping them or a climate controlled electrically lit building for storing and drying them throw the first metephoric stone.

Well said that man. Most of us are messing about with 'primitive archery' if we are honest. How many people stick to the above sentiment? Remember it was only another human who invented compounds, stabilisers, guns, epoxy, clamps, vices etc. It's human nature to do this sort of thing.
As an aside me and a friend decided to make a primitive bow all dolled up with stabilisers, sights , etc but you really don't want to know what we came up with to use as a peep sight  >:D >:D......still never did get that bow finished, it would definately give some of you guys a laugh!