Author Topic: Finding Bamboo supplier in Ontario  (Read 8773 times)

Offline munkinstein

Finding Bamboo supplier in Ontario
« on: January 11, 2014, 01:18:22 am »
For my next bow I really want to make a bamboo backed bow.  I'm having a lot of trouble locating decent bamboo in South-western Ontario and I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can order some?

Offline munkinstein

Re: Finding Bamboo supplier in Ontario
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38:39 pm »
Found one.  Just adding it here just in case others need to locate similar products.  This store is in Cambridge, Ontario, but they ship.

http://www.amwoodinc.com/pricelist.aspx?x=WUTitHcQkRhut4xNSfyEGQ%3d%3d

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »
There is also exotic woods in Burlington that has bamboo I think. Never been there though

Offline lostarrow

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 11:11:02 pm »
 Jlowranger just brought some nice pieces that he got in Mississauga(?) I think. I'll find out where it was. Where are you ? There are a few of us in London , and the number is growing all the time.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 12:12:19 pm »
You can't make a bamboo backed bow out of the bamboo you have in your link, too small in diameter, needs to be at least 4".

Offline munkinstein

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:03:48 pm »
@Eric  Yea, I just found that out, back to the drawing board I guess.

@LostArrow  I just sent you a pm.

Offline Easternarcher

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 03:39:05 pm »
Try Cali Bamboo in CA.USA.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 10:23:16 pm »

Contact Mullet (Eddie Parker)  He lives in Lakeland, and there is a bamboo supply warehouse there, that will size them, and  they sell them in bundles of 500.  It is Tonkin Bamboo! ;)  And they ship. Eddie can give you the number, and address, and more info.

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 11:04:21 pm »
I'm not real sure you can ship wood from the US to Canada without fibbing on the Customs info. We shipped sample boxes a few years ago made out of plywood to Alberta and they turned them back at the Airport. They told us they had to be made from Canadian wood to be shipped back to the States. Anyway, the shipping would probably be twice or more what the Boo would cost.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 01:17:44 am »
Scrap the bamboo anyway... and find yourself a nice piece of maple.  ;)

Offline Stoker

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 11:17:45 am »
Only way to get stuff shipped from Fl or Ca is snowbird express... Otherwise costs a fortune
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline stickbender

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »

Well there ya go eh?  Just take a vacation to see the Rat, and pay through the nose to get in, and then drop down to Lakeland, and grab a bundle of shafts, and head back home, and at the boarder, claim them as tomato stakes. ;)
Disney World, a trap set by a rat to catch people. ;) ;D ;D

Wayne

Offline Stoker

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 03:31:55 pm »
Wanye - I got them to ship a bundle to their condo.. They drive it home.. everybody knows a snowbird... No rat no trap... Did that once when the kids were young it was fun but not something I would do often
Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2014, 11:39:50 pm »
     Good idea Stoker. ;)  Good work. 8)  Now if he can just bring down some honest to goodness unadulterated Maple Syrup, for you, for your troubles, that would be the icing on the cake. ;)  That's the great thing about PA and it's members.  Always a way to solve a problem, always willing to go out of the way to help a fellow member. ;)  Been to the Rat, years ago, haven't been back, since they raised the prices, so little mikey isner, could get his undeserved bonus, despite low returns on sales of tickets, and dismal showings in Europe.

Wayne
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:31:45 pm by stickbender »

Offline mike fisher

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2014, 10:31:45 pm »
Exotic Woods in Burlington must have bow slats, just ask, if not they will order for you.Good Luck, Mike