Author Topic: ulna bone prep  (Read 1718 times)

Offline iowabow

ulna bone prep
« on: January 12, 2014, 12:39:06 am »
I was ask a question about ulna bones and prep. If your not careful you will break them see picture. Next please understand that you will not be using these bones in the very near future because they need to cure. So it is best to let nature do its thing. I learned the hard way that this bone is one of the first to be carried off by mice so you will need to secure them well.
The ulna bone does not want to come loose from the radius due to connective tissue between the bones. I found it best to just let the bacteria dissolve the tissue. So I tie them with wire to a tree and cover them with leaves and will wait till spring. Around April I retrieve them.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: ulna bone prep
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 12:51:50 am »
The best I found are from the really large deer. In this picture you can see small and large and 2 that I broke when I was in a hurry. No need to be in a hurry because it need to cure out over the summer anyway. Look closely at how I wired them because it is wrapped around that upper part so it can't run off

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 12:54:04 am »
The best I found are from the really large deer. In this picture you can see small and large and 2 that I broke when I was in a hurry. No need to be in a hurry because it need to cure out over the summer anyway. Look closely at how I wired them because it is wrapped around that upper part so it can't run off

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:38:22 pm »
It's funny you should post this today. I just got my ulna notcher done.  I hung my bones from a tree since before thanksgiving and just this morning took down on of the ulnas.  I scraped and sanded it to get all the grim and gunk off.  And it works great!  Easily my favorite notching tool.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 01:42:23 pm »
It's funny you should post this today. I just got my ulna notcher done.  I hung my bones from a tree since before thanksgiving and just this morning took down on of the ulnas.  I scraped and sanded it to get all the grim and gunk off.  And it works great!  Easily my favorite notching tool.
heck ya that's what I'm talking about! Now it only gets better with age.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:44:18 pm »
I am going to build a little cage from 1/4 wire to hold the bone in out in the woods.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 01:46:16 pm »
I set one on the floor of the garage and it disappeared on me ...found it in the wood pile 2 months later. Mouse ran off with it and cleared it real nice.

Offline Mike_H

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 02:07:23 pm »
I am going to build a little cage from 1/4 wire to hold the bone in out in the woods.

I know for a fact that works.  My sister-in-law does the same exact thing to clean her bones.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 09:58:16 pm »
Thanks John, I have several small cages and traps I can use to put them in. I'll try that and wire the cage to my debitage pit structure. Cheers, dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)